Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Hard to start

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Bradbury

Hard to start

Post by Bradbury » Wed May 31, 2017 3:38 pm

We recently acquired a 1957 Sea Skiff with the 130 HP Hercules engine with updraft carb. It is hard to restart once it is warmed up and shut down for a while. Any suggestions?

Steve Bradbury,
Osage Beach, MO

Captain Nemo

Re: Hard to start

Post by Captain Nemo » Wed May 31, 2017 4:12 pm

If it seems it isn't rolling over fast enough (struggling to spin), I would start by checking the timing. If it's not acting like that you should look at the battery connections, distributer tune up parts. Then I would get the starter tested.
Or if it is running too hot it could be vapor locking the fuel system. A few things to think about, I'm sure some of our crack mechanics here will come up w/ more.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Wed May 31, 2017 4:21 pm

I had the same problem with my twin Chrysler M-47s which were rebuilt in 1990. I spoke with an 'old timer' in 1992 and he said two words... "choke it". I found that advice to be counter intuitive. Next time out we ran for several hours and anchored for a bit. The engines were still near operating temperature and I cranked them but they would not fire, usual problem. Rather than hit them with starting spray, I pulled the chokes to about half closed, touched the keys over and they lit up like magic. Pushed in the chokes and away we went. Never had a problem after that. So, this old timer says "choke it". The m47s has twin zenith updrafts. I will add that the engines are on a 6 volt system so they don't crank very fast at anytime.
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:00 am

As Captain Nemo points out there are many possible factors in such a condition. (wiring, starters, ignition parts, timing .....) It is always hard to diagnose something over the internet.

Robertpaul mentions choking. That is a great easy place to start. I like the idea of half choke over full choke as you can quickly flood the updrafts and then you have a whole different problem on your hands. I have found the best way to choke an updraft is to get the engine rolling over first and pull the choke out while cranking. I do this when my engines are cold, but have not had any trouble with hot starts. I would try the same process hot.

Happy Boating!
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 pm

Excellent point made by tkhersom. Although each engine is somewhat unique (my twins each have their individual starting quirks), over choking can flood these babies quickly. I suggest minimal choking initially, only adding more choke if they don't catch right away. Adding choke after starting to crank may be the trick for this. If they do flood, I found that closing the choke and opening the throttles full cleared them pretty well, but be ready for them to fire up suddenly and to close the throttle to idle because they will race like mad. I am sure someone can advise on a magical chant to accompany these situations.
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser

srlittin

Post by srlittin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:20 pm

Steve, these engines when in good condition should start and run well at all times. The biggest thing that I have seen affecting this style of engine recently is the crap that we are being sold as gasoline. I have had 3 different old fire engines in my shop this year already with corroded inlet valves stuck with varnished gas.
The hard starting while hot is a symptom of this, as if this happens, exhaust gasses are returned to the intake leaning out the mixture and not allowing the engine to start. Generally a compression check will show a severely stuck valve, but will not show one that is being held .005-.010"open. Only a leak down test will show this.

If this is the problem then the remedy is to remove the cylinder head and remove and clean the valves and lap and reset the valves etc. not easy on a twin engine boat.
Some of the cars we work on with this style engine, we now have to do this every 5-7000 miles, or every 2 years. It sucks as there is not enough oil to the valve guides either.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve Littin