Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Model K Engine will not turn over

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Valley Girl

Model K Engine will not turn over

Post by Valley Girl » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:20 am

I have a 1948 Chris-Craft Deluxe Runabout with a Model K engine. This past weekend it stopped running. It was starting and running smoothly without any hesitation. This Monday it started fine and then died a few seconds later. I did a restart and the same thing occurred. The third time it stayed running and ran without issues. The next day I tried starting her and she will crank but will not turn over. I have performed the following troubleshooting steps...
1. Fuel and battery are on
2. Fuel tank is half full - I filled her up the weekend prior so she has fresh gas.
3. Checked all lines and connections
4. Checked the spark plug – nice blue spark
5. I have a water separator between the tank and the Fuel Pump. This was replaced this Spring.
6. Checked the fuel bowel – full and clear yellowish color
7. Choke and throttle cables are connected and functioning. I don’t have any play in the connections
8. Lightly tapped the side of the carburetor thinking it might be a stuck float

The only thing I have not done yet is to pull the line between the Fuel Pump and carburetor to verify fuel flow. I’m also considering pulling the carburetor and having it rebuilt since it's been 10 years since the last time but wanted to check to see if anyone had any other suggestions first.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Greg Wallace

Re: Model K Engine will not turn over

Post by Greg Wallace » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:41 pm

Give her a shot of starting fluid. If she fires and won't keep running then fuel delivery is the issue. if won't fire then re-check ignition.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.