Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Remote oil filter install

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

SteveH

Remote oil filter install

Post by SteveH » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Hi Folks,
Haven’t been here in a while, but back with a request for feedback. Hope all are well and enjoying the summer.
My late 50’s model K ran fairly well last summer, but I suspect I have a future date with the motor doctor. I know it has a bit of blow-by and puffs a little blue when I accelerate. The faint blue smoke goes away when the boat comes up to speed. There is no smoke at idle. After reading the Woodyboater oil article from last year I decided to try an upgraded oil over the ND 30 I was using to see if I could curb some of the above. I am now using Rotella T1 straight 40.

I have removed my oil cooler from the system and plumbed a remote filter to catch particulates as I am now using detergent oil. My hope is to run it a bit and see what I catch. I had next to no sludge in the pan, but can’t know what lay elsewhere.
I used a Derale remote bracket with ½ ports. All my lines on the remote side of things are larger (ID) than the factory oil lines. The block oil line from behind the starter goes into the “in” port on the remote and the remote “out” goes to the other line. Filter is a Napa Gold 1515.

I plumbed the cooling hose directly from the pump to the manifold via an in-line ¾ in. strainer. The oil cooler was helpful in catching my exploding impeller last time, so in went the strainer. A brass Y valve would have been better, but this cheap thing was what I could get at the store.

So, disconnected the couplers and fired it up in the driveway. I get about 30lbs of oil pressure at idle which is what I am used to if I remember correctly. After about 10 minutes of idle, temp was about 105 at the gauge and the oil lines showed about 115-120 with my laser gauge. No thermostat. I get what feels like a small pulse on “out” line from the remote, so I don’t know it that is anything to worry about.

Any concerns/other thoughts/fatal flaws with what I have done here? Looking to float her in a couple days. Appreciate any and all thoughts. My right side up pictures seem to come in upside down when I preview, so sorry if that how they arrive.
Thanks, Steve
20170812_192232.jpg
20170812_192305.jpg

1959 22' Sea Skiff (2263)
16 ft. Oughtred Penny Fee
17 ft. Devlin Oarling

SteveH

Re: Remote oil filter install

Post by SteveH » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:09 pm

If anyone is interested, I thought I'd report back.

Had the boat out Sunday for extended high speed runs. All appears well.

With oil cooler removed, motor maintained a temperature of 120-125 degrees at the gauge and oil lines. This is about 10-15 degrees higher than I remember from last year (I think). Could be other ambient factors.

Strainer seems to flow well and even capture a small piece of crud.

The best thing is reduced smell and what appears to be no more blue smoke on acceleration! Was it the higher speed runs, a bit more heat, a stuck ring unstuck, the 40 weight..I don't know but pleased to say the least.

I still think I'm running rich, so will try to tackle that next.

Steve

17 ft. Devlin Oarling

jim g

Post by jim g » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:37 pm

You need to secure the copper lines that went to the oil cooler. If allowed to vibrate they will crack at the fittings. The tubing is a very thin wall copper.

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:59 pm

Thanks Jim. Good advice. I think I can fashion a bracket from the cooler mounting bolts to the copper lines. As always, appreciate your input. Steve

17 ft. Devlin Oarling