Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Metal in Oil

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

mikefet

Metal in Oil

Post by mikefet » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:06 pm

Due to an issue I had with the accessory drive shaft which runs the distributor and water pump on my model K (see http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... =6&t=10033), I now have some metal shavings in my oil pan. You can see in the picture below how much of the shaft was eaten away and is now in the oil.
IMG_0024.JPG
Accessory Shaft Damage
The engine was probably run 10-20 minutes while the end of the shaft was being chewed up and the shavings were running back into the oil pan.
I have replaced the shaft, but now the metal still remains in the oil pan. I pulled off the inspection plate on the side of the pan, with hopes of cleaning it out as best as possible, but I don't think that's going to be feasible. In order to do it right I would probably need remove the engine from the boat and pull the oil pan and transmission.
Unfortunately, this engine is not setup to run with an oil filter.

Now, I'm wondering more about permanent damage to the engine components or transmission. How much damage could have been done while it was running with the metal in the oil?

Rather than just cleaning it out to the best of my ability and hoping for the best, I'm looking for some advice on having the engine professionally inspected for damage.

What's the likelihood that I am looking at a partial or full rebuild?
Does anyone have any suggestions for qualified engine re-builders in the Detroit area? Ideally, I think I would be better off taking the engine to a shop with marine and/or antique engine experience.
1939 Deluxe Utility - 21 ft.

Katanna

Re: Metal in Oil

Post by Katanna » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:39 pm

You are on Harsens Island. I would get a hold of Peter Henkel.