Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

KBL Intake

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

[email protected]

KBL Intake

Post by [email protected] » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:16 am

First time poster, several month's spent lurking. I have a 1956 CC-17-2291 Special Sportsman with a KBL engine. I have pulled the carbs off to rebuild and found a lot of rust on the inside of the carb downdraft to the rear of the motor. This can't be normal, I was wondering if there are any tricks to checking for water leaks on the intake manifold? I am fairly certain the motor was running prior to my purchase, absolutely no reason for the person i bought it from to mislead me.
Attachments
IMG_0220.JPG
Intake
cc2291 1.JPG
Carb Downdraft

jim g

Re: KBL Intake

Post by jim g » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:12 pm

All it takes is for a leak in the engine box for water to go down the carb. But it is possible to have a water leak there in the intake tube. I will say based on experience that this is how KBL's usually get water in the intake.

With that much evidence of water I would pull numbers 5 and spark plugs and check for water and/or rust in the cylinder chambers.

To clean the intake tube get a flex hone the diameter of the hole, chuck it in a drill and clean it. Then wash it out with brake cleaner.

If there is a big hole you should notice it after running the flex hone in it. If you don't see a hole you can hook a garden hose up to the hose after the water pump and have someone slowly turn it on. If there is a pin hole it should show up.

The intake tube just runs straight through the exhaust manifold. If that is the leak I would take it a machine shop and have them put a sleeve in it. Its a lot cheaper then even getting a used manifold. I have had several M series manifolds fixed this way.