Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Water Pump question

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

lftmx3

Water Pump question

Post by lftmx3 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:26 am

I'll start from the beginning - last year the boat sucked the rv antifreeze out of the bucket on the driveway fine while winterizing. When starting it up this year I noticed no water drawing from the bucket via fake-a-lake. I promptly shut the engine down, removed the water pump and found a broken vane on the impeller. Took the pump's outlet pipe going to the oil cooler off and found most (I think) of the broken bits stuck inside the screen of the cooler.

Which leads me to now- I've replaced the impeller and put everything back together. Started engine today, no water coming out of exhaust after a minute or so, so I shut it down again. Took the discharge pipe off the outlet or the pump, and the pipe is filled to the brim with water.

My questions are: being paranoid of shredding another impeller, is this normal? Should I not see a lot of water drawing through the system until the engine is hot enough to open the thermostat? If the discharge pipe is full of water does this mean the raw water pump with new impeller is working? Thanks all
64 Super Sport 17'

mfine

Re: Water Pump question

Post by mfine » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:35 pm

Water should bypass the thermostat and come out of the exhaust fairly quickly.