Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Replacing starboard shaft

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

rannamy

Replacing starboard shaft

Post by rannamy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:26 am

The starboard shaft(1 1/4” x 82”) on our ‘49 CC Cruiser has been spun at the coupling, making it impossible to lock onto the coupling. I am unaware of any repair possibility , so I’m looking for an appropriate supplier for a replacement. The shaft it’s replacing is bronze(is there a way to confirm it is bronze and not brass?). Any suggestions as to reputable(and hopefully affordable) suppliers would be great!
Thanks again for the help, folks!
Randy

rannamy

Re: Replacing starboard shaft

Post by rannamy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:07 am

So this is what I have gleaned from the Google Machine, so far...
Repairing may be possible, but “by whom”is the larger question.
Quotes for a (new) replacement look to all be in the $500 range and the material quoted was SS(Aq19)
Still tbd is the potential troubles arrising from running with bronze on the the port shaft and SS on the stbd, as well as potential corrosion caused by mounting a bronze prop onto a SS shaft. I’ll keep searching and studying and update as I learn.
Thanks again!

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:41 pm

Hi Randy, did the keyway get damaged? If so, is the coupler Ok? Post some pics if you can. Your shaft should be bronze as brass is way too soft. Running a SS shaft on one side doesn't pose a problem, I've done it. I have not had any issues w/ a bronze prop on a SS shaft either.
If I were you I would check around w/ local machine shops to see if they can turn one for you, $500.00 seems just little steep. Anyone at a marine supply shop is gonna rock you.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

WoodenRookie

Post by WoodenRookie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:32 am

Henry H Smith, 810-794-4222, very knowledgeable, probably in stock with coupling
1959 18' Continental "Knot Yet"
2013 Cobalt 200WSS
1977 Lakescraft Pontoon

jim g

Post by jim g » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:46 am

Yes. Call Smith's.

Get a new coupler and have Smiths fit it to the shaft.

rannamy

Post by rannamy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:55 am

Thought I would send a closing reply to this issue so’s others can benefit... On closer inspection of the othe rbronze shaft, I was uneasy with some of the scoring that I saw where the packing nuts had been, so I de died to replace both shafts with SS. The prop shop I used suggested I bring in the couplings to assure they were still usable. The found that the collars(male) were not aligned properly with the shaft holes, so they would have to be replaced as well. The couplers used are no longer made, so they ordered and then altered the collars on each to meet the required size. The (bronze) props (12”)look ok, though I think they are probably undersized for the engines(ML’s). So the new shafts & couplings set me back just short of $1500 and a few trips to Bradenton, but I feel confident in the results. The prop shop I used was called General Propellor in Bradenton, FL. They were great to work with and bent over backwards to make me happy. Thanks for the input everyone!

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:28 pm

Glad to hear you are happy with the new shafts. I had a new shaft made for my Lyman due to shaft scoring at the cutlass bearing. I too am happy but this all reminds me of the Jerry Reed song "They (she) got the gold mine I got the shaft".
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"