Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Clearance between prop and rudder

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Peter McBratney

Clearance between prop and rudder

Post by Peter McBratney » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:58 am

After a great many years I have finally got my 19ft Capri into the water! Great feeling and a life's work, so my wife says.
I needed to totally rebuild the boat, taking the plans from the museum and needing to re-establish the hull and all the fundamental dimensions. I think I have ended up with the prop too close to the rudder. It is about 7/8 clearance at the top and larger at the bottom due to the inclination of the prop shaft. I noticed a little vibration coming through the steering at low to medium revs and wondered if that is the clearance.

Can anyone give a guide as to what is the recommended clearance? I can shorten the shaft to achieve increased clearance. Thanks

Jim Godlewski

Re: Clearance between prop and rudder

Post by Jim Godlewski » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:39 am

What is the measurement from the propeller to the rear of the strut? I'm understanding it should be around 3/4 of an inch.
1956 17 Sportsman CC-17-2310
1930 Model 100 7152

Peter McBratney

Post by Peter McBratney » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:46 am

Jim, thanks for the reply. Sorry for not checking earlier.
Distance is 2 5/16 inch between prop and strut.
If 3/4 is the go, then my feeling that mine is not right is confirmed.
I don't see an issue with shortening the shaft, once I get it out of the boat. I really don't want to take the engine out, but I think I am going to have trouble pulling the coupling off the shanft. It is not a tapered coupling and looks to be a push fit with keyway and two locking screws. I guess the plus is it has not had time to corode. any ideas?
Regards
Peter

Jim Godlewski

Post by Jim Godlewski » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:19 am

1930 Model 100 7152

Peter McBratney

Post by Peter McBratney » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:34 am

Thank you Jim

I made up a nice puller that bolts to the propshaft coupling and has a centre bolt to pull the coupling off the shaft. Work of art! Crawled into the boat and fitted it. All good. Then I found I could slide the coupling off the shaft by hand! C'est la vie. Going to shorten the shaft by 40mm.

Thanks for the suggestions via the previous posts.

Regards

Peter

Jim Godlewski

Post by Jim Godlewski » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:44 am

Good job on the puller! You may want to replace that loose coupler with a new one. I had the same situation. When I showed my coupler to the place where I got my new SS shaft they said no good. The coupler needs to press fit on. That may be contributing to some of the vibration. Just a suggestion.
1930 Model 100 7152