Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

engine oil amount and changing

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Sundowner

engine oil amount and changing

Post by Sundowner » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:55 pm

I am new to the wooden boat business. I have a 75 Boston Whaler and a new Bryant (no wood). I just purchased a 59 15' cavilier. It has been changed to a early 60's 283 with the manual trans. How much oil should this hold? Has the dipstick been calibrated for the engine angle? Any easy way to change the oil ? I just ordered a prop from Robert Henkel 12x 15 1" Maybe a small tube and pump and suck it out of the dipstick? Any advise welcome.

Thanks,
Alan

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:56 pm

Alan,

Welcome to the Group. It's good to have you with us.

Unfortunately I'm not much on engines though. If I had to guess I would say 5 quarts. If it's a CC marine engine the dip stick is probably calibrated for the slope. My Son-in-Law changes the oil in mine. He rigged up a valve somewhere on the back of the engine that drains the oil by cranking the engine with the distributer disconnected (I think). He connects a tube to the valve and the oil is pumped into a container for recycling.

I think there are plenty of boaters on the Forum with 283's that could give you a straight answer on this.

Again, Welcome,

Al

evansjw44

Small Block CC V-8 Oil Changes

Post by evansjw44 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:56 am

The pan capacity is around 5 qts. But you have to add 1/2 or so fo the filter, depending on the filter arrangement. The dip stick may or may not be calibrated for the angle. Someone may have changed it out during its history. Some of the V8s had a changing tube that ran to the bottom of the pan to simplify pumping out the oil. The F series (flywheel after) have that and maybe the Q's.

I would caution you not to turn the engine over without oil in the pan or to pump the oil out with the starter. That is a excellent way to damage a bearing.

Pump out the oil and refill the crankcase before you turn the engine over. Even then you will have a short period of low or no oil pressure as the oil gallery will drain when you remove the filter. Its best to defeat the ignition and crank the starter until you have oil pressure.

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:36 pm

I use the "topsider" vacuum to suck the oil out through the dipstick. Neat no mess....
1957 15' CC Cavalier Utility

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:43 pm

I had a talk with my mechanic (son-in-law) about his method of pumping the oil out of my engine. I told him I may have to fire him if he doesn't start doing it right. His reply: "Is that a promise?" I told him I'd get back to him on that.

Actually he told me it's not a recommended method although he hasn't experienced any bearing damage over the years. His theory is that oil residue remains on the bearings long enough to drain the oil as long as the engine isn't started.

Al