Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Cleaning an old gas tank

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

kmjohnson

Cleaning an old gas tank

Post by kmjohnson » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:14 pm

I have just removed the gas tank form my 15' Cavalier.
This tank has sat with a half a tank of gas for 22 years. It has some sludge in the bottom and the residue of gas that is like old varnish up to the mid point.
I have heard that gas turns to a varnish like substance but have never experienced it.

It there a good method to restore this tank? Maybe a solvent?

Anyone with experience, I sure could use your help!

Thanks,

Ken

trailertrawler

Post by trailertrawler » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:32 pm

Ken,
This is a job that must be done properly, as far as I am concerned.......I removed my tanks and flushed them with water (I had a company come to my house and remove the old fuel that was mixed with salt water from a sinking)after the fuel was removed, several times. I bought a gallon of carb cleaner from NAPA, was about $50 and poured it into the tank a then rotated the tank every few days to get all areas disolved. Two round black tanks with baffles were pretty clean and I never had a problem after that. I installed fuel water seperators and my rebuilt carbs never clogged nor did I ever find more than a trace of residue in the filters.
Good luck!
Bob Clinkenbeard
Newly rejoined old member

John DeVries

Post by John DeVries » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:17 pm

Ken,

There was close to an 1" of "fudge" in the bottom of our tank and what finally worked for me was taking the tank to a car wash. I removed all of the plugs to facilitate drainage and worked the spray wand all over inside. The combination of hot, soapy water under high pressure made the inside of the tank spotless.

Before painting and reinstalling, I used an aircraft sealer kit from Eastwood Company, Pottstown, PA (don't do this indoors)

John

Wilson Wright

Flushing fuel tanks

Post by Wilson Wright » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:01 am

Bob:

Glad to see you back...

A good way to get fuel tanks clean is take them to the local radiator shop.
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club