Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

283 Flywheel forward

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

djeller

283 Flywheel forward

Post by djeller » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:40 pm

I am ready to install the distributor in my rebuilt 283. Can someone give me step by step procedure to do this. I just want to be sure I am doing it correctly. I have the #1 cylinder @ TDC as far as I can tell. Any help would be appreciated.This is a flywheel forward with a Prestolite 1BB4301 dist. with Petronix electronic ignition.

John Justice

Post by John Justice » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:46 am

Here's what I needed to do on my early 1960's 283 flywheel forward engine. #1 cylinder is the port, most forward one - near the flywheel. Can you see a timing mark (probably a drilled dimple) on the flywheel through the timing slot on the front mount? If so, then install the distributor so that the rotor button is pointing directly to the distributor cap tower attached to the #1 spark plug wire. That should give you initial timing close enough to get it running.

Other things to keep in mind. Don't use solid copper spark plug wires with the Pertronix unit. It needs some resistance in the wires. 8mm wires work well. Don't leave the ignition switch on for long periods without the engine running. Supply full 12 volts to the coil and the Pertronix unit.

Paul P
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, Cumberland River and Lake system

Post by Paul P » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:55 pm

There may be more than one Pertronix type of system on the market now, but here is what my system said to do.

I know this thread is for the old style FW forward SBC motor. This box and ID number is for the 427 motor, and the info is offered to be helpful, hopefully. Comments welcome.

Here are some instructions that came with the coil I used.

Also based on my recent experience with tne 327F, a newer series SBC motor of course, they are VERY much IBM Prestolite specific, and if you don't use the proper serial number off your distributor, the internal parts don't fit.

Regards, best,

Paul
1956 17' CC Sportsman, 300-hp
1957 17' CC Sportsman, 95-hp
1966 20' CC fiberglass Sea Skiff, 210-hp+
1973 23' CC Lancer inboard project, 427/375-hp.
1966 38' CC Commander Express, 427/300-hp(2)

So many boats.........so little time.....but what a way to go!!

evansjw44

Timing Mark

Post by evansjw44 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:35 pm

From my experience, the timing mark on CC V8 flywheel in not TDC. Its 6 degrees before TDC as far as I cn tell. If you ask why, consider there are two timing marks on CC V8 flywheels, not just one. If timing was TDC you would only need one.
Jim Evans