Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Pulling a K Gearbox

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Skiffdaddy

Pulling a K Gearbox

Post by Skiffdaddy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:20 pm

Hello,
I'm going to have to pull the gearbox off of the K engine in my 1956 Sea Skiff to have it worked on. I've been told how to do it but was wondering if anyone in the group has some pictures or could provide a written "how to" just in case I lose my way as I'm pulling it. The engine is in the boat and I know I'll have to drain the oil before starting. Thanks in advance for any advice.
1956 Sea Skiff • SK-18-569

jim g

Re: Pulling a K Gearbox

Post by jim g » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:36 pm

Undo w/p hose at pump, shifter rod and prop coupler. Take out rear mount bolts and undo front mounts bolts about 1 inch. Wrap a chain around underside of trans and lift until head is level. Put a 4x4 block under each rear mount. Get a small rectangular aluminum pan. I get the throw away ones from wal mart. Place pan under trans where it meets engine. Undo trans bolts and stand on rear of trans to help loosen it. Pull, tug, wiggle you know the drill to get it off. Once its broken free of the alignment pins it should slide right off. You do not need to drain the oil as when the engine is lifted it drains back into the engine. Pan is to catch the small amount of oil that will at the trans to rear mount joint.

John DeVries

Re: Pulling a K Gearbox

Post by John DeVries » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:07 am

Jim.

Actually, "pictures" are the key to success anytime you're doing something for the first time. Take a lot of photos of the transmission removal. Even in areas where it may not seem necessary. A photographic record of how things looked before they were taken apart is sometimes invaluable when it's time for reassembly.

John