Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Opinions for a few minor fixes on a K

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jnbailey71

Opinions for a few minor fixes on a K

Post by jnbailey71 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:06 pm

I got my engine running tonight and ran a gallon of fuel through her. A few questions I have-

I have a portable oil pressure gauge hooked up and it's leaking oil- should I use permatex thread dope to fix it?

I seem to have an exhaust leak that I hope is coming from the end cap on the manifold and not the actual manifold gasket- here is a video of it- opinions?

https://youtu.be/oGOf7PTV1_4

https://youtu.be/dPASbs6ETgY
Josh Bailey
1958 15' Chris-Craft Cavalier Utility K95

cc-woodboats

Re: Opinions for a few minor fixes on a K

Post by cc-woodboats » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:40 am

after watching the videos it looks like the manifold to block gasket is leaking.

jnbailey71

Post by jnbailey71 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:25 am

cc-woodboats- thank you very much for taking a look. I was hoping things weren't leaning that way, one thing I was thinking about- shouldn't there be oil or water also leaking if exhaust smoke is getting through? I am not seeing anything except for this faint smoke coming from the flywheel end of the manifold.
Josh Bailey

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:52 am

There shouldn't be any oil leaking but depending on where on the manifold or the manifold-to-block joint is the culprit you would be getting exhaust combustion gases or water/steam. I would think a leaking manifold-to-block gasket would have the combustion exhaust gases under pressure as that is directly after the cylinder's exhaust valve and should be noisy too. A water jacket leak might be harder to find if not actively dripping. You could try some of the leak detection soapy fluid you can buy at Home Depot/Lowes, better if you can find the thicker stuff so it won't run down the engine before you can see it foaming. You would have to try and spread it around the joints and watch for foaming bubbles. It probably would be best to use that stuff before the engine exhaust starts getting hot as it will probably dry up too fast to be much help when heated. Just an idea.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:08 am

I watched the videos again and while there are multiple spots for exhaust type leaks as well as water leaks (head gasket, freeze plugs) on a K series engine, it doesn't appear the smoke is under any pressure. You may want to check the crank case breather PCV valve and pipe connections that come off of the valve tappet cover, or even the cover gasket itself. These are in the area of the smoke you're seeing. You might be seeing a small amount of cylinder blow by gases that are emanating from the PCV circuit piping. In theory, those gasses should be getting sucked into the air/fuel intake induction, but a clogged PCV circuit might obstruct that with the smoke leaking from the valve or pipes. I used to have a KLC engine that was rebuilt and it did not have the PCV valve, just a copper pipe that ended in front of the carb flame arrestor. Under certain conditions like a cold engine first starting and then shutting down, a small amount of blow by smoke would drift out of the breather when shut down.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

jim g

Post by jim g » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:40 pm

It looks to be coming off the front end plate on the exhaust manifold. My first guess would be the paint burning off if you have repainted the engine. Second guess is the front cover gasket or exhaust manifold gasket. The manifold is not very hard to pull. Get a craftsman wrench and grind it like the pictures. It will make getting the end nuts off much easier. Don't use a cheap wrench.
Attachments
IMG_4825.JPG
IMG_4824.JPG
IMG_4813.JPG
IMG_4812.JPG
IMG_4811.JPG

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:14 am

jim g wrote:Get a craftsman wrench and grind it like the pictures. It will make getting the end nuts off much easier. Don't use a cheap wrench.
Perspective is a funny thing sometimes. As I was reading your post and looking at the picture I was thinking. As thin as you have to grind that wrench I would consider starting with a higher quality product. Then I read your last sentence and chuckled to myself.

This lesson was actually taught to me by a good customer. He was purchasing a pricey socket and telling me how he was going to modify it for a special use. When I asked him why he didn't go buy a Craftsman or some cheaper brand socket to modify he informed me that it would not be strong enough to get the job done after he made the modifications. It completely changed my concept of using cheap tools for altering.
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

jim g

Post by jim g » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:30 am

tkhersom wrote:
jim g wrote:Get a craftsman wrench and grind it like the pictures. It will make getting the end nuts off much easier. Don't use a cheap wrench.
Perspective is a funny thing sometimes. As I was reading your post and looking at the picture I was thinking. As thin as you have to grind that wrench I would consider starting with a higher quality product. Then I read your last sentence and chuckled to myself.

This lesson was actually taught to me by a good customer. He was purchasing a pricey socket and telling me how he was going to modify it for a special use. When I asked him why he didn't go buy a Craftsman or some cheaper brand socket to modify he informed me that it would not be strong enough to get the job done after he made the modifications. It completely changed my concept of using cheap tools for altering.
Craftsman wrench are pretty good quality. I've been using that ground wrench for 15 years now. Not as good as Snap On but much better then the over seas junk thats out there. When I was turning wrench's on Alfa Romeo's and Saab's close to 30 years ago. I always went and bought Craftsman wrench's to cut up and grind on. I just couldn't bring myself to cut and grind on a Snap On wrench.

Your customer was a smart guy. The owner of the Alfa shop I worked for a while was using a cheap socket on and impact gun and it shattered and cut tendons in his wrist. He had meant to put a chrome Snap On socket on the gun but accidentally picked up a cheap one laying in his drawer. After that he threw out every tool that wasn't Snap On, Mac, Matco or Craftsman. On almost every car there are applications were a impact socket just won't fit into the hole and you have to use a chrome one. Alloy rims are a good example.

jnbailey71

Post by jnbailey71 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:54 pm

Jim-

Thanks a lot for the tip with grinding down the wrench, it made this job super easy.

Got all surfaces cleaned up and I am feeling pretty good that both the manifold to block and manifold end cap gaskets needed replaced. The end cap gasket was original and there wasn't a whole lot left, was a real bitch to scrape off but persistence got it where it needs to be. In the picture below, on the manifold to block gasket, it appears to show where some exhaust was escaping, at any rate the gasket is in pretty poor shape, especially on the side the leak was coming from.

I hear both sides- So I will ask for trusted opinions, should I apply any gasket sealer to any of these gaskets? Unfortunately (or maybe not), whoever put this engine together during it's last rebuild used a red sealer EVERYWHERE!
Attachments
IMG_2915.JPG
IMG_2916.JPG
IMG_2914.JPG
IMG_2913.JPG
Josh Bailey

cc-woodboats

Post by cc-woodboats » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:42 pm

use Permatex #3 aviation gasket cement on all surfaces.
don't use rtv silicone,it tends to plug up the water passages between the manifold and block.

jim g

Post by jim g » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:18 pm

Use nothing on the manifold to block gasket. Use permatex sealant on the end plate gasket. Especially if you have some pitting on the gasket surface. I use permatex ultra blue. Apply a very light coat. Sealant is like KY a little dab will do.

jnbailey71

Post by jnbailey71 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:59 am

Hahahahaha thanks again Jim
Josh Bailey

cenger

Post by cenger » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:23 am

You may want to take a file and lightly deck the surface of the manifold. You will be able to see if there are any high or low spots.
1935 Gar Wood 16-35
1929 Gar Wood 28-30