Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Engine oil drain bolt

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

captain paul

Engine oil drain bolt

Post by captain paul » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:06 am

OK, is the engine oil drain plug just a regular bolt I can get at the hardware store? Any special washer? Hercules M.

Thanks

charlesquimby

Re: Engine oil drain bolt

Post by charlesquimby » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:59 am

My recollection only: The drain is 1/2" pipe plug, usually steel, but some are brass. Square head, so use an 8-point socket, not an adjustable wrench. Go back in with a couple wraps of tfe tape on the plug threads and pull up snug. Do not over-tighten. OR, remove drive cover and pump the oil out. Especially good this way if engine is in the boat, and will enable you to get the max oil out of the engine. You can seal the cover with black RTV... CQ

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:06 am

Just a note about using RTV.
I have seen issues where the RTV gets in the engine and plugs things up.
Do not use to much where is is squeezing out a bunch as it can break loose inside the engine.
Permatex still works pretty good too.

charlesquimby

Post by charlesquimby » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:07 pm

Yes. Denny makes a good point about the RTV. Many folks over-apply it. All that is needed is < 1/8" bead about 1/8" from the edge of the cover. Just snug the bolts. Whatever spooges out, just trim it with a razor blade. Do not confuse RTV with silicone. I like "Ultra-Black". Permatex High-Tack is also a good sealant. Secret is to not over-apply it. "Little Dab L Do Ya." CQ