Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

How to finish a dash........

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jbyers

How to finish a dash........

Post by jbyers » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:00 pm

I've stripped the paint off of my mahogany dash on my 58 Cavalier so I can at least have one non painted surface to remind me how this boat was in it's glory years. The wood looks fantastic.......

Can anyone give me some advice on staining/finishing the dash please?
Attachments
IMG_2003.JPG
IMG_2002.JPG

joanroy

Re: How to finish a dash........

Post by joanroy » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:44 pm

Sand to 80 grit, stain with Interlux Chris Craft mahogany red filler stain as per instructions, two coats of Interlux sealer, several coats varnish. Follow instructions on cans and have fun. Looks Great!

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:49 pm

Will do......... thanks

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:05 pm

Another question......... I didn't have any 80 grit sandpaper, so I used 100 to sand prior to putting on the Interlux Interstain. When I wiped it down there are some areas that are lighter than others even though I rubbed it out with a cloth dampened with brushing liquid.

Can I go back and do a second application tomorrow???

charlesquimby

Post by charlesquimby » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:27 pm

Bleach the wood with a wood bleach product. Be sure to neutralize the bleach job with white vinegar. Sand lightly to remove the raised grain, 100 grit. Apply your stain across the grain using a terry, just before it dries rub it lightly with the grain, but never use thinners. Let it gas off for about two days. If you want a darker color, repeat. That is most likely Philipene mahogany. Not a true mahogany, but the older Phil colors nicely, you'll see. Seal the job with thinned varnish. Apply two more coats full strength before light sanding, 220. Then start your varnish build. Do not push the job. Seven to ten coats applied with badger, light sanding in between applications. Give your previous coats time to gas off, and keep the coats thin. Thick coats cause checking and wrinkles. This is the way I would do it; others have different methods. CQ

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:45 pm

Thanks CQ........ sounds good to me. I'm certainly not in a hurry even though it's been in the mid to high 80's here and will be next week as well..

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:37 pm

I was given a 3/16 piece of matched Black Walnut and laminated it to the original dash.