Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Can I wax my topside paint?

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jbyers

Can I wax my topside paint?

Post by jbyers » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:12 pm

I used Interlux easypoxy, one part top paint on my 1958 Cavalier. Can I wax it once it cures? If so, how long should I wait and what is a good wax to use?

Thenks,

Jim Bell

Re: Can I wax my topside paint?

Post by Jim Bell » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:09 pm

Waxing will help block UV damage, aid in abrasion resistance and keep a good shine. Do not use polish of any kind. I would go with 3M Scotch Guard liquid wax (black bottle) apply and buff by hand. Check with Interlux for full cure time. 8)

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:53 pm

Thank you Jim..............

bflaherty

Post by bflaherty » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:32 pm

I am curious what you found out, if anything, from Interlux... I used their brightside paint last winter and it took all summer to fully cure!! If I had applied wax at any point last year it would have been a disaster! I know the paint, any paint, needs time in the sun (or a paint booth oven) to breathe and cure. Applying wax too soon will trap the off gases and cause all kinds of problems.
Brian Flaherty
1969 Chris-Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "TUPPERWARE"

"You'll never discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:28 pm

I never got a real clear answer from Interlux. I haven't waxed it yet and I am really not in a big hurry to do so. I would rather be safe than sorry...............

bflaherty

Post by bflaherty » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:10 pm

That is where I am as well. I have buffed/polished my top coat but I was very careful to read all the product labels as to avoid any kind of silicone, carnauba, or the like. After a full season of use my paint has finally hardened, and still looks pretty good... I will likely buff/polish the top sides again this spring (mostly to clear off the imperfections that appeared from the paint being soft for the beginning half of the season).

I used the Meguiar's "Ultra Cut Compound 105" then their "Ultra Finishing Polish 205". I am very happy with how these products worked together and it was very easy to get a mirror finish even with a cheap polisher!
Brian Flaherty
1969 Chris-Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "TUPPERWARE"

"You'll never discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:51 am

Thanks Brian........I used to use the two product Mequires on my black show car. They make good products and the finish is hard to beat........