Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Hull Prep and Paint questions

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

NOT Firewood

Hull Prep and Paint questions

Post by NOT Firewood » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:52 pm

I am starting to work on my hull of my Sea Skiff I was picking away of the build up of paint and loose "filler" today I have not started to sand yet. Here are my questions.

I will need to replace some of this "filler" what is best to use on the hull?
The hull has copper paint if it is adhered well on the hull any reason I can not just rough it up and paint over it?
I don't feel that I need anti fowling paint as I don't my skiff in the water for a long length of time. So what is the best hull paint to use?
Should I epoxy the hull first before painting?
On the bow I have a metal strip that I have to replace and the rub rails where would I get these?

joanroy

Re: Hull Prep and Paint questions

Post by joanroy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:12 am

Are you planing on stripping your hull sides down to bare wood, or just knocking off loose paint and a quick repaint? When it comes to paint you have a lot of options. I stripped my hull sides bare 11 years ago and used two coats of Interlux primer finished with two coats of Interlux Brightside. After priming I did some caulking with Sikaflex and some screw hole filling with Interlux white fairing/filler. I don't use epoxy primer.

As far as the bottom goes, if the paint is in good shape you don't have to strip it, although it certainly isn't a bad idea on an old boat to be able so see what's going on in regard to planking and fastener condition. Your call. If you just paint over, make sure the new bottom paint is compatible with what's on her now. I'd stay away from the new water based bottom paints. Use an old fashioned oil base type.

For your chrome strip I'd contact Jim at Fine Wood Boat or check with Jamestown Distributors if its a more common stock type rub rail.

Post some pictures. Take you time and have fun! There's nothing prettier than a fresh paint job on an old wooden boat.

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:31 am

I agree with JOANROY. Great advice. I have seen to many boats destroyed by someone striping off the paint. That paint has been protecting the wood for a long time. When you start striping you are going to remove wood as well. Hey, there is only so much wood there to start with and I suggest it stay there where it was originally put. If the wood is bad then replace - no fun at all if it has been epoxyed over. Stay away from epoxy except as a very last resort. It is a common misconception, in my opinion, that epoxy protects wood. If you do use epoxy keep in mind that it only sticks to what it is put on meaning you would have to strip it down to bare wood.

Just scrape her down and remove all the loose stuff. Interlux filler above the waterline works very well. fill and sand till she is nice and smooth then paint. No need to strip down to bare wood at all. Leave that good expensive protective paint right where it is unless it is loose. Also, where you do go down to wood; prime all those spots first before you start priming and painting the entire hull.

Denny

Farjr

Post by Farjr » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:30 pm

I have a question on my 61 restoration. The hull has chip I will fill with the interlude filler as you recommended. But the paint in many places is cracked buy not loose how do you address this issue almost light spider cracking many areas. If you paint over won't that come through. Thanks Frank

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:19 pm

Your right. If you just do a light sand and repaint the spider cracks will eventually come through again. What kind of boat are you working on? Is it plywood sided or mahogany planked? Paint cracking is more of a problem over plywood depending on the paint type used.

evansjw44

Post by evansjw44 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:29 pm

A note on Sea Skiff hull painting. After about 1962 CC used paper covered plywood for the topside strakes. It gave a very nice paintable surface pretty much free of the checking that regular fir plywood was prone to. A lot of people that "stripped" their skiff hulls sanded through the paper without realizing why it was there. Then they were surprise at the checking that occurred afterward.

So if you're going to strip the topside used heat not abrasives to get the old paint off.
Jim Evans

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:04 pm

Some really good advice. The plywood with a paper surface is called MDO for Medium Density Overlay. This is a great surface for finisging and is probably best left alone. As far as paint cracking... I guess there is more you need to know. I still contend that unless you really know what you are doing it is best to leave the paint that is bonded well right where it is. However, it may just be the wrong kind of finish to begin with. Preparation is always the key. Talk to the paint pros which I am not. But, I am certain a primer is required. You need to properly sand the surface first for adhesion and then use a bonding primer. I have done painting in automotive applications where a filler primer is used then sanded to remove the imperfections creating a smooth surface. May take more then one application before the finish paint is applied. The filler or sanding primer sands easily and is also a good bonder. I would investigae that for marine application. This would not be recommended under the waterline. Filler/Sanding primer comes in spray cans. I wonder if you could, after initial sanding, spray the filler primer over the cracked areas and then just sand those areas out smooth first allowing the filler bonder to fill the cracks. Then prime and sand the hullsides. It is not hard but takes time. Keep in mind that the appearance of the finish coat will only be as good as what you are painting over. 90% of the finished job is preperation.

Denny

Farjr

Post by Farjr » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:15 pm

Does anyone hav ethe number for the chris craft museum? I talked to sanduski paint and he doesn't know the varnish color for the 1961 24 sea skiff or exterior accent colors. I guess from my reading on your forum I can get that information from the museum, correct......thanks Frank