Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Finishing sequence for new wood

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Peter McBratney

Finishing sequence for new wood

Post by Peter McBratney » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:00 am

I am rebuilding my 19ft 1961 Capri with all new wood on bottom, topsides and deck. The new wood is faired and sanded to 180 grit. Deck stripes slots are all cut but not yet filled
I am looking for guidance on the best sequence and materials where appropriate for the new wood on sides and deck for bleaching, neutralizing, staining and varnishing.

Happy to correspond via email if that suits or call via Skype or phone

Peter McBratney, Adelaide, South Australia

maritimeclassics

Re: Finishing sequence for new wood

Post by maritimeclassics » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:24 am

I think we could help with that. I have a sheet that we used for a couple of the workshops we put out. We are putting on another workshop on this very topic on the 17th of March. I will post it here and then you can give me a call if you would like when you can and we could talk it over. There is a few different ways that people do it but this works very well for us and a proven method.
Varnishing.doc
(28 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Maritime Classics 231-486-6148
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout

Peter McBratney

Re: Finishing sequence for new wood

Post by Peter McBratney » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:19 am

My apologies for the late reply. I have been travelling and on another long project.

Thanks for the varnishing article. It will be very useful when I get to that point.

I have the bottom finished so I am now looking to bleach the sides and deck. This is where I need some more guidance.

In Aus we cannot get the same branded bleaching products that you have in the States, so I have tried household bleach (basically Sodium Hypochlorite), hydrogen Peroxide 30% solution, Oxalic Acid and have not managed to gain any significant bleaching of the timbers. I should also say that the side and deck timbers are "Malaysian Mahogany" (local term). This is a red medium hardwood and it looks and feels very similar to the timbers used in the original boat (1961 Capri).The nearest species in my text book is "Meranti, Red, Dark" which goes under several names, as per the attached description.

My test pieces have all been treated at room temperature and allowed to soak for up to two hours before rinsing off. When dried there is little if any colour change.

The second photo is of the engine hatch, where the large centre portion will be blond and the grooved portions mahogany stain.

I would welcome any suggestions, particularly if the recommendations can include the chemicals used in the treatment.

Regards

Peter
Attachments
IMG_4109.JPG
IMG_4108.JPG