Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Finishing deck

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

John Cederstrom

Finishing deck

Post by John Cederstrom » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:42 am

I am ready to stain. seal and varnish the deck on my '46 Garwood Ensign. How does one maintain the integrity of the deck grooves? I plan on staining with Interstain followed by 2 coats of CPES and then Captains varnish. I have 1/8" deck grooves. It seems like all these applications would tend to fill in the grooves to some extent leaving the grooves with varying widths.

John

maritimeclassics

Re: Finishing deck

Post by maritimeclassics » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:01 am

When you varnish roll in the same direction of the grooves. If you go across them with the roller they will fill up. When we get ready to caulk the seams we always run a piece of 80 grit folded up so it is tight in the seam and clean them all out. Best case is that you have bare wood on each side of the groove so the Sika-Flex sticks really good. As far as stain goes it would be wise to contact Mike Mayer at LO Boat Co. and get yourself some Gar Wood gel stain which is the correct factory color. Its much easier to use and looks great. Also I wouldn't use CPES over the stain, it tends to be to hot with solvents and moves the stain around. Just a suggestion.
IMG_20180323_164020162.jpg
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout

John Cederstrom

Re: Finishing deck

Post by John Cederstrom » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:12 pm

I plan on using the roll and tip method so your suggestion of rolling with the grain makes good sense. I think using a folded 80 grit to clean out the grooves answers my main question. I have experimented with several stains and colors and have decided to go with Interstain red mahogany. I did a 1941 CC several years ago and used Interstain and was very happy with the results... Thanks much for helping make my project a success.

John