Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

bottom finishing

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jwoldeboat

bottom finishing

Post by jwoldeboat » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:46 pm

Have new 5200/mahgany bottom on my Capri and plan on useing hard raceing bronze as a finish coat as boat will be used in fresh water and trailered--Question is what is the best primer system ??
#1 red lead primer
#2 2 coats Smiths CPS followed by three or four coats of epoxy barrier coat ( Interlux 2000E
#3 ????

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:55 am

Personally, I'd go with #2. If it's new wood that hasn't lost a lot of natural resin yet it won't soak up much penetrating epoxy on the first coat. Older wood will soak it in. The second coat assures a good bonding surface. I would think 2 coats of 2000E over the CPES would do but I guess more would be that much better.

Al

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:41 pm

Al is correct, this is the best method;

Here is how it goes;

1. Bare wood gets two coats of CPES, 24 hours apart.

2. Within 24 hrs of the last coat of CPES apply the 2000E barrier coat one coat at a time. FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDED INSTRUCTIONS!!! You need to put on 4 coats or equal to 10 mil thickness.

3. Let the 2000E sit a day or two and then scuff it with a scotch bite pad and or sand to desired smoothness.

4. Apply the 1959 Pettit bronze with a roller or gun and make it a thin coat. Let that sit at least 24 or 48 hours depending on the humidity in the air. DO NOT PUSH THE 1959 OR IT WILL BITE YOU IN THE &^%$#^!

5. Apply the second coat only when the first is good and ready. The issue is that the paint takes time to flash off and is pretty slow at it.

If you do this correctly that stuff is really great and gets hard as nails and will adhear to the barrier like crazy.

Have fun
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

john walton

Post by john walton » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:59 pm

jwolde--

If you are not familiar with the 2000E, listen up:

Get a real good respirator, make sure you have ventilation. This is nasty foul stuff. After you use it, be prepared to leave the area while it dries.