Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

I really like this varnish

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

joanroy

I really like this varnish

Post by joanroy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:24 am

I'm doing a little refinishing this winter and have been useing Hellmsman Polly by Minwax. Its very easy to use right out of the can with no thinning and I think it looks pretty darn good. I've used it in the past for exterior residential work with good results. Its readily available at the local hardware store and inexpensive compared to the brand name boat varnishes. I'm thinking I will use it on all my inside and outside bright work. Anybody else tried it on your boat?

boat_art

Post by boat_art » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:35 am

I would be careful stepping on that ladder if I was you.
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:43 am

I put some interdeck non-skid powder in the last two coats on the treads.

charlesquimby

Post by charlesquimby » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Polyurethane is not varnish, and the two are not equal in regards to depth, build, tone or longevity. Poly may be suitable for jointry inside a cruiser, but I would never use it for brightwork on a runabout. I'm curious how others feel about poly v varnish as far as our boats are concerned. May as well throw the two-part clearcoats into the conversation, as well. Maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist, but nothing beats varnish for the look it provides. Opinions/experiences? CQ

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:57 pm

I agree w/ Charles on this. Polyurethane is too hard, it won't be as flexible as a tung oil base stuff. Being harder it won't move as much w/ the wood and may tend to fail quicker.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:42 am

The Helmans Spar Urethane is formulated for exterior weather conditions and is advertised on the can as being able to flex and move with the wood as well as being sunlight and moisture resistant, but then again all the good oil or urethane varnishes make the same claim. With all the VOC re-formulations that have been made recently, its hard to figure what your buying. I agree that the oil varnishes have a bit more tone and depth than the urethane, but the traditional varnish on my boat tends to dry up and fall off sooner than the clear urethane. I've been useing the urethane on my transome and the traditional oil on the rest. After a few years with annual maintenence coats the transome still looks pretty good and the rest not so good. So far I'm just experimenting with the Helmsman, but it brushes out real nice, dries in quickly and is half the price of the good boat stuff.

rpccc43

Post by rpccc43 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:17 pm

I refinished the inside of my owner's cabin on my Connie using both Minwax stain and the Spar Urethane. I am very pleased with the results and the urethane is easier to handle in my opinion. After 3 coats it has adequate depth and is a bit more forgiving in terms of impact with stuff and people banging into it as they move about. I have only used it on a park bench outside though as I am experimenting with it also. It held its gloss and integrity over the summer very well. We'll see what it looks like after 2 summers.

Capn Taz

Post by Capn Taz » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:35 pm

In doing the exterior of my Conqueror I decided new school was better than old school and didn't listen to the weathered captains that told me I would be sorry. To my dismay, the exterior parts done in Urethane on my first year of refinishing now have to be redone after the second year, while the stuff that I did in varnish is holding up well.

Now I am stripping all the urethane and redoing in varnish. It moves better with the wood, holds up better and looks better in my opinion.

On another note, the urethane is holding up very well in all the interior applications.

This is just my experience, but it was a valuable lesson learned the hard way.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Just purchased my first Chris, 1959 conqueror - It's going to be an interesting ride!

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:37 pm

I love the pic by the original poster, the one with the steps....the workbench patina and layout is really cool and traditional and that really neat building across the steet make this a special photograph.

As to the varnish/poly discussion...I am reading and learning.

John in Va. heading to Tavares
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

joanroy

Urethane or Traditional Varnish?

Post by joanroy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:33 am

Capn Taz what brand urethane and varnish did you use the first year and what brands now. I've been useing Interlux clear urethane on my transome and Schooner on everything else on the exterior. My cabin sides were painted when I got the Joan Roy, but will eventually put it back to varnish. Needless to say this will be a big job and I'd like to use the product that will last the longest, be easy to apply, and maintain.
I'm in New England six months in the water and six on the hard. The weather is pretty harsh. What brand and formulation is the best of the best?

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:13 am

I have been waiting to see experiences with Poly's and regular varnish. So let's keep this thread going.

My preference:
5-6 coats of Sandusky's Clear Sealer , and over that 2-3 coats of a good UV varnish ( usually Epiphane)

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:38 pm

I'm a loyal Epiphanes user... it is more difficult ot apply, and I recommend only using their thinners and accelerators.... but it seems to have the best UV resistance and longest gloss retention. I think the top Pettit varnish is very good as well. I apply a minimum of 6 coats for outside trim, and for big areas about ten coats. I also use Salem sealer or CPES for a base coat.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:14 pm

Do you guys do a maintenance coat annually or get it built up and go a few years. Doug and Peter, which Epiphanes do you use?

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:07 pm

I guess I have been spelling Epifanes incorrectly. I use the Gloss Clear. There is good info on their site http://www.epifanes.com/home.htm as to application etc.

My only advice against poly is that it's hard to get off.

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:13 pm

:lol: :lol: I spelled it wrong... sorry.

I use the blue and red can, and I thin it just slightly on hot days.

It is the traditional gloss product.

I use the rubbed effect on interior pieces.

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:49 pm

joanroy wrote:Do you guys do a maintenance coat annually or get it built up and go a few years. Doug and Peter, which Epiphanes do you use?
Do you keep the boat in a covered slip or out in the elements?
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:02 pm

I keep mine covered. I did get 5 years, and then it was only a redo to bring more shine back. Like Peter, I do use the rubbed effect on interiors.
BTW Peter, Is that Gidley you worked on in your area?

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:57 am

Joan Roy is stored inside on the hard during the off season, but out in the elements during the boating season. I've been doing a maintenance coat on my transome every Spring, but get lazy with the rest. I use Interlux clear poly on the transome and its holding up well. The Schooner traditional varnish is popping off here and there everywhere else. I guess for an outside boat, maintenance is more important than varnish type or brand. I'm not a varnish perfectionist, but like keeping my old mahogany sealed and protected.

I love the way the hardware store Helmsman brushes out and the price and is certainly appealing, but sounds like Epifhane is the prefered. If I strip my cabin sides and put it back to varnish I'll have a lot more of it to take care of. Ease of application will be more of a factor.

I haven't made up my mind to yet, but at least I finally know how to spell Epifhane. I've always been a lousey speller, but I'm pretty good with an orbital sander.

mfine

Post by mfine » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:03 am

joanroy wrote: but at least I finally know how to spell Epifhane.
Are you sure? :)

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:04 pm

Wrong again? I'll just call it that varnish with a funny name.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:52 pm

The harder it is to spell, the better it works. :wink:

Forgot to mention, I constantly polish with poly wax during the season....watch though, slipperier than s**t.
Last edited by Doug P on Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:56 pm

The Gidley I had went to Scottsdale Arizona, and I believe it ended up in California after that.