Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Chris-Craft decals under the varnish

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

mlafrate

Chris-Craft decals under the varnish

Post by mlafrate » Sun May 15, 2016 8:09 am

I bought some Chris-Craft decals that can be applied and then varnished over. My question is how many coats of varnish before I apply the decals? I bought them from Classic Boat Magazine.

Thanks
Mike

JimF
Club Executive Team

Re: Chris-Craft decals under the varnish

Post by JimF » Sun May 15, 2016 8:44 am

I would apply nearly all the coats before placing the decals. The varnish should be smooth. Each coat that you put over the decal will yellow the white part of the script. Personally I like that vintage look but some may want the lettering as white as possible.
1930 Chris-Craft Model 100 20' "MOXIE"
1940 Chris-Craft Red and White 25' "Old Paint"
1946 Chris-Craft Sportsman 25' "CinCity"

Bilge Rat

Re: Chris-Craft decals under the varnish

Post by Bilge Rat » Mon May 16, 2016 4:23 pm

You will definitely want to varnish over them with a couple of coats as this helps protect them from being rubbed off or losing their adhesive and pealing. Try not to place them on a plank seam as normal seasonal plank movement can cause the decal to crack, very annoying! Watch the varnish carefully as it dries because it tends to pool up and sag if you're not paying attention.

I too like the slightly yellow hue that the decal takes on after varnishing. Looks vintage.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"