Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Drying Issues

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Captain Nemo

Drying Issues

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun May 29, 2016 6:41 am

I am refinishing my transom and there a couple of small areas that don't want to dry. The conditions when I stained were picture perfect for three days afterwards it was dry and temps in the 70's. So, I went ahead and did a sealer coat (varnish reduced about 40%). Four days later there are a couple of areas at the upper corners weren't quite there. The daytime temps during that 4 days have crept into the upper 80's w/ more humidity. Yesterday I went ahead and did a top coat early in the morning. Everything this morning flashed off nicely except for those two areas.
I am tempted to go back to square one or wait this topcoat out and see what happens. I am having a sign painter letter it for me so it's not like I can afford just go for it and hope the finish doesn't lift or some other nonsense.
I've had whole sections not dry because of the stain not gassing out, never this spot issue. I am just looking for a little input but, I think I know where this going. :(
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

Doug P

Re: Drying Issues

Post by Doug P » Sun May 29, 2016 8:11 am

Perhaps you could have your sign painter spell out "WET PAINT"

Sorry :oops:

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun May 29, 2016 9:10 am

Thanks Doug, we can always depend on your good advice :lol: . I'm PO'D enough, going down to start stripping. Cooler and dryer weather is in the forecast for next week.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Sun May 29, 2016 10:48 am

If the stain was good and the varnish was good the only explanation is wet wood underneath. As a last ditch effort you could try a hair dryer to see if it'll dry it out.

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Sun May 29, 2016 11:36 am

I am going to ask some basic questions, so please bear with me. Were the problem spots where you started the job? Was your brush clean and dry or had you cleaned it (with the same thinner used in the varnish?) within an hour or so of starting in order to remove dust from it (the brush will hold some solvent for some time)? When you cut the varnish, did you stir it very very thoroughly? My line of enquiry is aimed at determining whether these spots were done with too much thinner in the mix and your brush picked up some that was sitting on top.... even just a little bit. It should dry anyway, but may be tacky for a long time. I am sure you have gone through this checklist already, but I thought i would ask anyway.
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun May 29, 2016 12:28 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Not you Doug :lol: . I am working in the shed, nice and dry, as is the wood I'm working with,and the wood is in good condition.I used new brushes. The sealer coat did move the stain around a bit,could have contributed. I have already stripped it and am about back to square one and will give it another try. Those of us who have been at this awhile know when it's time to drop 10 and punt. I think it was just the phase of the moon or one of many factors that can ruin a finish :? . I am sure it will be OK this time around.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sun May 29, 2016 4:09 pm

Captain Nemo wrote:Thanks for the input guys. Not you Doug :lol: .
Well you are going to get it. How fine did you sand the transom. Maybe the stain was sitting on the (fine sanded/polished)wood and the cut varnish moved it and didn't allow drying.
Remember Captain Nemo had a STEEL boat (Roamer) 8)

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun May 29, 2016 4:25 pm

Doug, I First go w/ 80 grit then go to 100, both by hand w/ a block. I think this time around instead of cutting varnish for a seal coat I get just get some straight sealer.
Captain Nemo liked wooden ships as he was able to tear them apart w/ the steel sub. As I get older a Roamer is starting to look good, although my welding skills leave a little to be desired. :roll:
Thank You, Doug

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sun May 29, 2016 6:09 pm

I like Sandusky Clear Sealer 2260. You can get 3 coats on in a day...but it must be finished with a few coats of a good UV varnish. Good luck. As John in VA sez...Go Varnishing :P

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Sun May 29, 2016 6:46 pm

Interlux paste filler stain and two coats of Interlux sealer have always been winners for me.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sun May 29, 2016 7:02 pm

Maybe its a good time to ask...Other than the UV, what is the difference between a sealer and varnish? :?

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Sun May 29, 2016 7:13 pm

Good question Doug. You can use varnish as a sealer, but you can't use sealer as a varnish, although varnish will both seal and varnish. Hope that helps.

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Sun May 29, 2016 11:29 pm

Sealers tend to have a very light solvents (Pettit used naphtha) in order to carry the solids (what there are) into the wood, and they flash very quickly. Much like the difference between cpes and epoxy. I always used a sealer like Pettit and had very good and long lasting results.
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:59 pm

I thought you might like to see the finished product. I ended up stripping the finish off with a cabinet scraper, as it was still a little soft, it peeled right off. I went w/ a straight sealer this time and I still had a little dime size spot on the upper corner right by the rub rail that didn't want to flash off. So I dabbed a rag w/ some turp on it and held a work light on it for a few minutes and it dried out.
My sign painter did an excellent job. I pulled him out of retirement as he was put out of a job years ago by the vinyl cookie cutter soulless computer programs.
Thanks for your input, you too Doug :) .
Attachments
IMG_0131.jpg
Last edited by Captain Nemo on Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:29 am

Love that name Capn Nemo. I like to sow some wild oats once in a while myself. Ya, that vinyl has come a long way, but just can't compare to a good old fashioned hand lettering. Looks Fantastic! How bout a couple more pictures of the rest of Wild Oats.

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:00 am

My wife isn't too keen on the name. I decided it should stay as it has been "Wild Oats" for many decades, possibly since new.
Posting a before pic too. The finish was pretty worn out.
Attachments
Wild Oats 004.jpg
Before
IMG_0077.jpg