Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Wax over Paint?

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

rpccc43

Wax over Paint?

Post by rpccc43 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:28 pm

Greetings all,

Last fall I finished (finally) painting Mistress, my 1965 Connie. I used Pettit Ship -N- Dec Alkyd enamel and am generally pleased with the results. Still a year away from launch but wanted to protect my handi-work. I can't yet wash her with a hose and soap (no water in the shed) so was looking for recommendations on any spray and wipe products. After that ...should I wax the paint? I've been reading the debates online on wax vs. marine polish and still don't have any solid advice that I can hang my hat on. Soooo.... I'd appreciate hearing from members on this topic. ~ Randman
Attachments
Mistress.JPG

joanroy

Re: Wax over Paint?

Post by joanroy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:02 pm

I wouldn't do anything to the paint job while its in the shed. It should hold up fine until you move her outside into the sun and water and then you'll need a repaint in about five years or so depending on conditions. I don't think wax makes much of a difference in finish longevity on a cruiser. Looks good to me.

boat_art

Post by boat_art » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:11 pm

What joanroy said....I usually use Interlux Brightside and 7 years is pretty common even for the dark colors.
I recommend never waxing.
Tom
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:37 am

rpccc43 wrote:Greetings all,

Last fall I finished (finally) painting Mistress, my 1965 Connie. I used Pettit Ship -N- Dec Alkyd enamel and am generally pleased with the results. Still a year away from launch but wanted to protect my handi-work. I can't yet wash her with a hose and soap (no water in the shed) so was looking for recommendations on any spray and wipe products. After that ...should I wax the paint? I've been reading the debates online on wax vs. marine polish and still don't have any solid advice that I can hang my hat on. Soooo.... I'd appreciate hearing from members on this topic. ~ Randman
It is important to know the difference between polish and wax. Polish has a cutting grit and no UV properties, (for the most part, some combination wax/polish exist) It restores the finish by removing a thin layer if the surface (gelcoat). Wax is the final component for gloss and UV protection. It should be applied by hand or a low RPM buffer. Heat generated from high RPM polishers remove the wax you are trying to apply. I have used the 3M wax on paint (Brightside) for additional protection (UV and acid rain) but not until the paint has fully cured, usually several weeks, so I would not apply wax on you boat at this point, and never polish paint. 8)