Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Temp fix for varnish?

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Ray Jorgensen

Temp fix for varnish?

Post by Ray Jorgensen » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:25 pm

The motor is rebuilt and bottom of hull will be repainted by the end of the week. The owner wants to get it on the water yet this season but wants some thing done with the top of the bow. Any temp suggestions? I'll be stripping and refinishing this winter.

Thanks
Attachments
Varnish-2.jpg

joanroy

Re: Temp fix for varnish?

Post by joanroy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:41 pm

That finish is too far gone to do a temporary fix. Needs to be striped, sanded, stained and revarnisned. Clean it up and Go Boating.

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:24 pm

I would try sanding with 150 grit. Put some stain everywhere that you sand, than apply about 3 to 5 coats of Pettit Flagship.

I bet it will look surprisingly great. :D
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:16 pm

Troys right, if you do what he suggests it will look considerably better, although if your planning a full refinish at the end of the season it seems like a bit of a wasted effort and more expensive varnish on top of bad to strip off.

One thing I have tried on old varnish that may help bring up a shine is to clean it up and apply a couple of coats of Liquid Gold. It's temporary but it should look a little better and help protect the wood until the refinishing. Happy Boating!

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:22 am

joanroy wrote:Troys right, if you do what he suggests it will look considerably better, although if your planning a full refinish at the end of the season it seems like a bit of a wasted effort and more expensive varnish on top of bad to strip off.
Again perspective comes into play. For me my plans always change, so a temporary fix may end up staying in place for 3 to 5 years. If you really are going to strip it this fall or winter do the same, but just apply 2 coats of Flagship. It will look GREAT! :wink:
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat