Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Wet sand Interlux Interprime Primer???

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jbyers

Wet sand Interlux Interprime Primer???

Post by jbyers » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:35 am

I am on my 5th coat of primer over mostly plywood (some old repairs with unknown substance and some Marine Tex and fairing material I used). I used several coats of Interlux sealer prior to the primer.

Even though most of the grain is now covered I am still having problems smoothing out the surface because there are a number of slightly wavy or uneven spots.

Is it OK to wet sand the primer for the last couple of coats? It seems like this would produce a smoother surface since I can use a large sponge type sanding block with a fairly fine grit.

Thanks in advance. This is clearly the first time I have done this.......... :mrgreen:

bflaherty

Re: Wet sand Interlux Interprime Primer???

Post by bflaherty » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:08 am

You need to follow the directions from Interlux... You really don't want a smooth finish on the primer as the top coat won't bond correctly to it. Save the wet sanding for the final top coat!

When I did ours I never used anything finer than 220 grit paper with a foam hand sanding block! Mostly used 120-180 paper on a DA sander... Then I got smooth with the top costs (320, 400, 600, 1000, 1200, and finally 2000 before buffing with high-cut compound)

Good luck!!
Brian Flaherty
1969 Chris-Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "TUPPERWARE"

"You'll never discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:46 am

Thank Brian. I guess I' getting frustrated that with so many coats after I sand for the next one, it just keeps showing grain, etc on each successive coat. It's as if it looks much better before I sand it. I have been using 120 but now I am using mostly 220. I take it from what you are saying that the finishing coats will even out the grain marks etc..........

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:49 pm

Just an FYI, Hillary on chat at Jamestown Distributers says it's OK to wet sand so long as you give it time to dry well before the next coat. I'm really not convinced after doing it that wet sanding did any better than just using a dry sanding sponge, it just gets the build up off the sponge easier without having to wait for it to dry completely. I think after almost 6 coats the end is near (one way or another, since I won't put much more on).

I think I'll dry sand manually with 220 prior to the first coat of paint.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:17 am

[quote="jbyers"]Just an FYI, Hillary on chat at Jamestown Distributers says it's OK

You believe Hillary? :P

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:35 am

I told her at the end of the chat to vote TRUMP.............