Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1958 Cavalier Bottom Paint Color

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jbyers

1958 Cavalier Bottom Paint Color

Post by jbyers » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:33 pm

I am about to paint my boat. I've repaired all of the rotted wood, etc. and smoothed it out with about 7 coats of primer. The bottom has been repainted gray at some point in time. As I sanded it out today in preparation for the bronze/copper bottom paint I got into the original paint which was Red.

I know some Chris Crafts had red bottom paint but all of the original 58 Cavaliers I have seen online were the bronze/copper color. I will probably still go back with that since I have already purchased it and I am not going back to the original finish anyhow but still I am curious as to what was correct.

Can anyone help me out here?

Doug P

Re: 1958 Cavalier Bottom Paint Color

Post by Doug P » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:20 pm

bronze/copper

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:06 am

Thanks Doug. That is what I thought but this red is definantly the original color from the factory. I uncovered it in numerous places across the entire bottom and in some places I even sanded down to the wood and there was no bronze under the red.

It's for sure a 58 model according to the Maritime Museum......... Makes one wonder how these things happen.............

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:00 pm

I can't seem to get an answer to this one. I am using the 1959 Pettit Racing Bronze bottom paint. The literature doesn't say you have to sand between coats and the guy at Jamestown didn't sound so sure of his answer, but he did say you should.

Any comments????

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:24 pm

I do not sand between coats and usually apply any additional coats if the paint does not go on smooth. It has to be mixed after each brush and goes on as dry as possible.

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:27 pm

It is possible that a previous owner also took it down to bare wood, leaving no trace of the factory paint. Just a guess on my part. I wooded the bottom of our cruiser in 1990 because the paint was in such bad shape. I applied Pettit Red Lead primer (which was still available in Canada back then) and it proved exceedingly durable and held the anti-fouling coats very well.
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser

Howard Lehman

Post by Howard Lehman » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:26 pm

Hi, I'm late to the party here, but I'm looking at an original 1958 Chris Craft Cavalier brochure. The color in the photo for the 17' Cavalier Utility and Runabout is definitely copper bronze. Of course exceptions and special orders may have been done by the factory to suit the buyer. An "approved accessories for factory installation" note on the brochure shows that a fiber-glass-covered bottom was an option. As far as sanding between coats of 1959 Pettit Racing Bronze paint, I do give a light scuff sanding to the previous coat prior to the next, but I'm not sure its necessary. However, what is necessary is a thorough mix of the paint, and then almost constant stirring while painting. I have found some success with using the small foam roller to apply the paint, ending each pass in the same direction. You can have the most success by always keeping the paint well stirred. I have also seen beautiful end products that were sprayed on, but I have no experience with that. Good luck, and be patient. Regards, Howard

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks Howard........ I bought a spray gun and compressor to do this job and then paint a travel trailer. I haven't gotten up the nerve yet to practice on the boat, but I know I really should spray rather than roll/tip...............