Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

CC Riviera Water Ski Tow Rope Hook-Up?

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Riviera Wish

CC Riviera Water Ski Tow Rope Hook-Up?

Post by Riviera Wish » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:11 pm

I am contemplating my first water skiing experience with my Riviera this Spring! The question I have is: how do I attach the tow rope to the boat? The lifting ring, I am told, is not designed for a high lateral (aft) loading. Is the lateral load on the lifting ring from a water skier beyond the lifting ring aft (lateral) load limit? If so, can someone suggest how the ski tow rope should be rigged?
Thanks in advance for comments and suggestions.
Steve

Greg Wallace

Re: CC Riviera Water Ski Tow Rope Hook-Up?

Post by Greg Wallace » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:13 am

You can probably get along fine using the lift ring. That's what everyone did back in the day when skiers were on two big fat skis or an aquaplane providing minimal drag. I would be a little more concerned about wake boarding, aggressive slalom and tubing. Some mechanical reinforcement under the deck would add a level of confidence.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

Riviera Wish

Post by Riviera Wish » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks Greg, It's good to know that is how it was done 'back-in-the-day'. At least that will suffice for what I plan on doing, old school skiing. I'm thinking, just to be safe, I could 'bridle' the aft lifting ring support rod to the engine rear cross member with a small cable. Any other lifting ring lateral (aft) support suggestions would be appreciated.

Howard Lehman

Post by Howard Lehman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:20 pm

Steve,
I restored two boats for two guys who said they wanted to waterski behind their boats, one a '55 17' Chris Craft Sportsman, the other a '47 17' Chris Craft Deluxe Runabout. I cautioned them about this and the stresses this puts on the transom if they wanted to use the aft lifting ring for this. I explained how a proper ski pole/pylon anchored to the engine is much more preferable, and prevents the stress on the transom. Both understood this, but still wanted to use the aft lifting ring as they were only using this for young children on two skis or easy pulling of a tube. After convincing them that slalom skiing, or certain wake board techniques etc would be very detrimental to the transom, I came up with a compromise solution, to isolate the lift ring rod, so it wouldn't move in any direction. I contacted a friend who welds, and is an engineer. We discussed this and came up with a "bracket" made of steel or aluminum and @ 1/4" thick, that was @ 30" long (maybe longer), 3-4" wide that would fasten to the inside of the upper transom framing with screws and adhesive. An upside down "L" with a hole in the middle was welded to the bracket, right in the middle, with the hole being only a little bigger than the diameter of the lifting ring rod. With some trial and error, and adjustments, and everything trial fit, we had a working solution. This "bracket" was installed just below the aft deck, and the lifting ring rod was pushed through it into the threaded hole of the lifting ring frame. Of course, the rod went through the aft deck in the normal placement. I made sure the "bracket" limited movement of the lifting ring so it couldn't touch any wood of the deck in any direction. I told them that this "bracket" doesn't reinforce the transom frame much, but it will limit movement of the lifting ring so it doesn't touch'crack the aft deck. Damage to the transom can still be a possibility if they don't limit the stresses. They understood this was to be used for only light skiing or tubing with youngsters. I have no idea if they have even used their boats in this way. But, I present this only as an idea for you to consider.

Riviera Wish

Post by Riviera Wish » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:54 am

Thanks Howard. I ran across your suggestion about 45 days after you posted it. I had assumed the issue was 'dead' but was glad to find your solution to the water ski problem. My feeling is it would be better to tie the skiers load to the engine rather than the transom with maybe some added athwart ship bracing to keep the side load off the wood deck. Your acknowledgement of the potential problem is appreciated. I plan on doing something to reinforce the hook-up, even if it's wrong!