Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Aluminum Drip Edge

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

rpccc43

Aluminum Drip Edge

Post by rpccc43 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:32 am

Greetings all,

I pulled the drip edge on my pilot house roof in preparation for painting the roof. Roofs done and looks great. However, the j channel drip edge is pretty beat up and I would like to replace it if possible. Anyone know of a source for this material? Thanks

Randman

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:40 am

Randman,

Take a look at the aluminum drip rail at www.restorationstuff.com page 25 #MOU43 in their online catalog. It may be close.

Al

rpccc43

Post by rpccc43 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:46 pm

Al,

Thank you. Not exactly the same but close enough!!

Randman

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:59 pm

I have been scanning a bunch of materials in preparation for bring more content (some 20,000 pages) of content online soon.

In this batch we scanned many Chris-Craft parts & accessories catalogs. I have quoted Stan-pro as a resource in the past. They have served the auto industry for years, and have numerous stainless products developed for the marine market.

One Pre War catalog and several post war catalogs reference specifically Stan-Pro channels. Stan=Pro is still in business today at http://www.stanpro.com/

These pages are from 1956.

Bill Basler

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Randman, in looking at your post again, and seeing Al's response, I realized I was chasing after something different. The Stanpro reference may come in handy for others, and I was surprised to find mention of the brand name in a Chris-Craft Catalog.
Bill Basler

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Randman,

Great! I happened across that item a few months ago while looking for something else. If you get some let me know how flexible it is for bending around the curves on the roof edge. I would like to replace mine eventually and this product is the only one I have seen.

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:15 pm

Bill,

Your posts popped up when I looked back. The Stan-Pro information will be very helpful. All us cruiser guys are endlessly searching for window channeling, etc.

Thanks,

Al

rpccc43

Post by rpccc43 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:35 pm

Gents,

Thank you for the information. Just as an FYI, the original drip edge had a vinyl strip in a channel that covered the screws. Very classy and typically Chris Craft. I looked on the web for hours and came up with nothing even close. Al's suggestion was the best by far and yes I will let you know how it bends. The previous owner had cut out the channel in 2 spots to accomidate large antennas. I have removed those and now wonder how exactly where the edging would have drained to originally as it goes completely around the top.

Randman

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:50 pm

Randman,

Come to think of mine does too (wraps around). It just overflows onto the aft deck (lowest spot) and out the scuppers (or into the bilge via hatch cover).

Al

Tekakwitha

Very helpful!

Post by Tekakwitha » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:51 pm

Found this thread to be very helpful.

Al - thanks for the reference to Restoration Stuff. Looks like they have the trim I need for my 66 Connie project. Still looking for this one:

jamesm2733

Post by jamesm2733 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:57 am

That looks to be like the awning track used on RV's.

rpccc43

Post by rpccc43 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:50 pm

On my Connie it was used to secure the seat cushions to the bow seat. The decorative vinyl piping on the edge of the cushion slips into the grove and it allegedly keeps the cushion from flying overboard from the wind or in the event the old girl hit the top of her rpm's! I have never had that problem so can't attest to the effectiveness it.

Randman :)

Tekakwitha

Post by Tekakwitha » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:07 pm

Randman - did you end up using replacement drip edge from Restoration Stuff as Al recommended? If yes, any problem with getting it to shape as needed? I have the original drip edge but it's in bad shape. Thinking of replacing instead of trying to salvage. How did it work out for you?

FYI - I bought my boat mid someone else restoration project and did not know those channeled pieces are for the bow seat. The information available from this club is awesome. I'm a member for life!
Keith W. Bales
Tekakwitha
1966 37' Connie

rpccc43

Post by rpccc43 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:05 pm

Keith,

I made the purchase but got side tracked by pulling out an engine for a rebuild. Its on this summer's to do list, I will let you know how I make out. The material looks like it will bend ok around the corner with some careful fastening. Good luck.

Randman

Tekakwitha

Post by Tekakwitha » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:23 pm

So I purchased drip edge and window trim pieces from Restoration. I looked around for a metalworker to take the straight stock and shape it to the original pieces. Noboby wanted to do the job. I had an old pro tell me it would be difficult to make the dies needed to shape the parts. All this seemed crazy to me so I decided to give it a go myself. With a drill press, counter sink bit, drill bit, a chopsaw and my KNEE (used to bend where needed) , I believe I have successfully reproduced my aluminum trim pieces. I will be installing tomorrow. I will post pictures when complete. I plan to shape the dripedge while installing on the boat. I'm confident this will work.

Keith W. Bales
Tekakwitha
1966 37' Connie

Tom Kenny

Aluminum Drip Edge

Post by Tom Kenny » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:07 pm

Keith, I like what you are doing. Can you share with us the name and address where you got that beautiful Aluminum Drip Edge?

Thanks

Tom Kenny
Tom Kenny
1961 55' Chris Craft Constellation
Independence - ftkltd.com

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:18 pm

When installing the drip edge get a stiff coil spring that will fit inside the groove to keep it from collapsing when you bend it around.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

Tekakwitha

Post by Tekakwitha » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:55 pm

Thanks Capt. - I did a test bend with a scrap piece of dripedge and all is well. It shapes easily and it did not collape.

Tom Kenny - THE Tom Kenny? I've seen your website where you document your project. Indepence is amazing!

I purchased these trim pieces per advise of Al Benton from:

Restoration Supply Company
15182-B Highland Valley Rd.
Escondido, CA 92025
Order Desk Toll Free: 800.306.7008

again, per the suggestion of Al Benton from his earlier 2009 post. There is a link to their website earlier in this post, provided by Al - thank you Al. This is working out well!
Keith W. Bales
Tekakwitha
1966 37' Connie

Tom Kenny

Post by Tom Kenny » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:33 pm

Thank You Keith, I will be placing an order
Tom Kenny
1961 55' Chris Craft Constellation
Independence - ftkltd.com