Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Riviera Engine Bay Vent Tube Orientation

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Riviera Wish

Riviera Engine Bay Vent Tube Orientation

Post by Riviera Wish » Thu May 05, 2016 4:49 pm

The vent tubes for my Riviera were received in a box along with locating holes in the aft deck. By process of elimination I think I have isolated the two forward engine compartment vent pipes or tubes (see photo). Both tubes are cut at such an angle at the top that implies that they do not drop straight down from the deck but are canted forward, aft, or athwartship inboard or outboard.
Can someone indicate the forward vent tube orientation relative to vertical? Also, the longer of the two tubes has a tab to presumably attach the tube to a frame member or engine space floor board. Can someone tell me which tube is port and which is starboard and to what (where) the mounting tab is attached?
Attachments
IMG_0719.JPG

dreed

Re: Riviera Engine Bay Vent Tube Orientation

Post by dreed » Thu May 05, 2016 5:33 pm

I can help you if you can help me. The longer one is near the back seat, and the shorter one is near the stern. The tab is screwed to the outer most chine I think they call it. Here is where I need help. I tried to recreate these vent tubes and failed miserably. Could you post dimensions including diameter. I tried to recreate these out of three inch ventilation tubing and they don't fit into the holes in the deck.
1953 CC Riviera 18-R-927

Riviera Wish

Post by Riviera Wish » Thu May 05, 2016 9:40 pm

Sure dreed, maybe we can figure this out. Incidently, my Riviera is 18-R-749 and I believe the vent pipes are original. The vent pipes are 3" diameter galvanized "28 GA" stove pipe. Attached is a photo of all three engine space vent tubes. I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that the shortest (22 1/2") straight cut pipe was located starboard side aft. There is a hole in the rib at that location that lines up nicely with the mounting tab on the shortest pipe. The other two pipes have beveled cuts on one end and straight cuts on the lower ends. The shorter length on the shorter of the two beveled pipes is 21 3/4", the longer length is 23 1/8" (difference being the amount of bevel). This shorter beveled pipe has no mounting tab on it. The longer of the two beveled pipes measures 25" and 27" respectively, indicating the amount of bevel at the top of the pipe. The longer beveled pipe also has a mounting tab.
Let me know what you think.
Attachments
IMG_0720.JPG

dreed

Post by dreed » Sat May 07, 2016 5:10 pm

There should be 4 vent tubes in the engine compartment. I could never figure out how the 3" tube goes into the 2 1/2" hole in the deck. I have seen on here where some boats also had a vent tube under the bow light, but am unsure if Rivs had them. Mine are long gone after a restoration a few years back.
1953 CC Riviera 18-R-927

Riviera Wish

Post by Riviera Wish » Sat May 07, 2016 6:39 pm

My information is that there are only three Riviera engine compartment vent tubes. The aft port vent tube, if it existed, would interfere with the engine exhaust pipe, or so I am told. My Riviera does have a vent tube up forward mounted under the bow light. Four vent holes in the aft decking of my Riviera are 3 inches in diameter including the one without a tube over the exhaust pipe.