Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Throttle rod bushing for 1950 CC Racing Runabout

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

pegjr

Throttle rod bushing for 1950 CC Racing Runabout

Post by pegjr » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:44 pm

Hello I'm trying to get my horn to work. I have a banjo type wheel with a horn ring.
I need to isolate the throttle rod from the steering column to prevent a constant ground. Does anyone know where to source what I believe must be a very thin plastic, nylon bushing(s) that would wrap around the rod to isolate it? I've tried just about everywhere looking for something that would work and everything I have tried is too thick. I've even tried rubber shrink wrap and that's too thick. The rod itself is 3/8 in diameter. Any help/guidance is appreciated. Thanks

charlesquimby

Re: Throttle rod bushing for 1950 CC Racing Runabout

Post by charlesquimby » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:27 pm

I have made bushings out of TFE rod. Have you looked in McMaster-Carr? CQ

pegjr

Post by pegjr » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:23 pm

No haven't tried McMaster Carr. the wall thickness of any bushing could only be .001-.002 over the 3/8inch diameter of the rod based on the opening of the column shaft to make it work. Does that sound right?

bflaherty

Post by bflaherty » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:42 pm

Did Chris Craft ever actually use the horn ring on the wheel? I have always seen a button the dash for the horn... Our '69 Cavalier had a Ford Mustang wheel with horn ring but Chris Craft just used a simple push button rather than dealing with the challenges of horn rings.
Brian Flaherty
1969 Chris-Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "TUPPERWARE"

"You'll never discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:24 am

Not absolutely positive but I believe as long as an "automotive" style steering gear assy was installed the horn operated through the wheel. Dash mounted buttons "I suspect" correlated with move to marine type or "non-auto" based steering set ups.

DISCLAIMER: This is from memory and not hard documented data and subject to exception and correction.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.