Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

283 carb problems

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

dsherburn

283 carb problems

Post by dsherburn » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:07 am

I have a 1961 28' Chris Craft Connie with a single 283. I purchased this boat last Fall and have been working on it since. A few days ago, we were able to take the first cruise. The engine starts and seemed to run fine (we never really cruised above 1500 RPM). Toward the end of the 4-5 hour cruise, the engine stalled. It would restart, but stalled 3-4 more times before we slipped it. Probably 1/4 in each tank left.

I'm not sure if it's carb related or fuel system related. It has what looks like an inexpensive automotive electric fuel pump. I replaced filters, but the engine seems to stall when I advance the throttle. The choke seems to be working fine. It has a Carter 4bbl.

Would this appear to be carb related? And should I replace the fuel pump with something else? Mechanical?

evansjw44

Stalling

Post by evansjw44 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:11 am

I've seen bad coils behave like that. Also, CC replaced all the original electric fuel pumps on 283s early on because of fire risk. The insurance underwriters don't like electric fuel pumps.
Jim Evans

Take Time

Coil

Post by Take Time » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:31 pm

I would replace the coil. When a coil goes out it will act like a fuel problem. Are you getting fuel pressure at the carb?

Rob

primospal

Post by primospal » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:52 am

I had a carter 2 barrel in my Chris Craft 305 block 1976 vinatge. I ended up getting a rebuild kit and was able to get it up and running. If the fuel issue and coil are not the problem this may be it. I would get a rebuild kit under any circumstance to have around. Make sure you use the heavy duty carb cleaner that you can get at a good auto parts store. It comes in a 1 gal can with a parts basket. Amazing what a difference a clean carb makes.

Tom Auth