Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Gemmer Steering Gearbox

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Jim Godlewski

Gemmer Steering Gearbox

Post by Jim Godlewski » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:04 am

Hello All,
I am ready to restore the Gemmer steering gearbox on my 56 CC Sportsman. How far should I tear this down? Do I need a gasket kit. What kind of grease/lube is required? The only search info I found said trailer axle grease.
I am attaching an image of the Gemmer showing some leakage after sitting around for some time with the old lube still in it. I thought it was a little unusual for seepage at the column. Maybe not.
Thanks.
Jim

1956 17 Sportsman CC-17-2310
1930 Model 100 7152

57 chris

Post by 57 chris » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:59 pm

Hi Jim,
I had a similar problem with mine and I ended tearing the whole gear box apart. I'm glad I did because I found water in there as well as major gunk. I reused my original seals and used 90/140 gear lube and have no leaks.

Craig
1957 18' SeaSkiff #SK 18675 "Knot Sure!"
1958 18' SeaSkiff #SK18722 "Wreckreation"

Past projects: 1972 19' Lancer with 307 Volvo drive-Great Blue, 1968 23' Lancer Offshore with 283 Volvo drive-Narwahl
1988 FourWinns 245 Vista - Blue Ayes.

It's good to have wood!

Captbob626

steering box

Post by Captbob626 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:49 pm

I think I am going toneed some new seals for my 56 gemmer as well. Do you have a source?

57 chris

Post by 57 chris » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm sorry I don't. When I did that project it was early in my restoration and didn't know where to find them and since they didn't leak I didn't have to research and find them but I'm sure someone that knows will chime in. In fact, once I find out where to get them I'll probably get a set for spares.
1957 18' SeaSkiff #SK 18675 "Knot Sure!"
1958 18' SeaSkiff #SK18722 "Wreckreation"

Past projects: 1972 19' Lancer with 307 Volvo drive-Great Blue, 1968 23' Lancer Offshore with 283 Volvo drive-Narwahl
1988 FourWinns 245 Vista - Blue Ayes.

It's good to have wood!

Mark Christensen

Post by Mark Christensen » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:25 pm

If you look at the fall 2007 issue of the Brass Bell, there is a detailed article talking about rebuilding steering gear. They talk about what kind of cork you can use to make your own gaskets. Pretty good how-to from the Brass Bell.
1961 24' Chris Craft Sportsman - CUA-24-0007C
1940's Homebuilt 14' Racing Hydroplane

Jim Godlewski

Post by Jim Godlewski » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:59 pm

Mark Christensen wrote:If you look at the fall 2007 issue of the Brass Bell, there is a detailed article talking about rebuilding steering gear. They talk about what kind of cork you can use to make your own gaskets. Pretty good how-to from the Brass Bell.
OK Great. I found the article and saved it. Is this process pretty much straight forward? I do not have any experience with these. Should I attempt this myself or will I need an expert on hand?
1930 Model 100 7152

mattbyrne

Post by mattbyrne » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:02 pm

check out post:

http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... php?t=2743

From Bill Basler
"Parts for these Gemmer steering gears are available through Bratton's. www.brattons.com"

I ordered a gasket kit from Brattons for my Gar Wood and it worked great. If you have quesitons give them a call they are very helpfull. I used lithium grease in mine instead of heavy gear oil. I didn't want to take the chance of getting oil in my new clean bilge.

Captbob626

steering gear

Post by Captbob626 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks guys, I'll give Bratton's a call.
Bob

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:27 pm

If you do not find what you need with Batton's, try Mac's.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll ... e~cadeffcD

I would give you the exact link but their site desing makes it impossible to. Go to the above link, then select "Early V8" from the Make pulldown. Choose "Steering" from the Category pulldown menu. Click the "Go" option next to the "Category" pulldown.

You will then see search results that you can page through.

The prewar Gemmers are a different animal than the postwar Gemmers. If you get into the deep stuff and need new worm gears, two or three tooth steering sector shafts, etc, you may have to call on one vendor or another.

Here is a very helpful email I got from club member Bjorn Bakken, as he tried to find parts for his 1940 17-ft Deluxe. We shared much of the same issues. I helped him on a couple of issues, and he has helped me in return, in getting to the bottom of the exact origin of our pre war Gemmers.

Now....from Bjorn:

++++++++

Hi Bill:

You have seen my reply to the steering wheel question on the Buzz. Here is my "documentation" to why I'm pretty sure our steering gear is the same as the '32-'34 Ford V8's.

I have attached the picture of my worm gear, stamped with "13", and the picture of the 13:1 ratio worm gear for RH steering in Mac's catalog. Though I have not ordered this, they appear to be identical.
I have both the gasket set, and adjusting kit, and they are 100% identical to the original.
Also, the diameter is of the steering rod/shaft is the same as Ford V8's, 0.760". Model A rods/shafts are 0.880" (+-)

CC may have been using the same as Mod. A's earlier though.

Bjorn

++++++++

What we both have found, is that many have referred to the pre war gears as Model A gears. This is likely true of the earlier gears, but by 1940, the ones used in the barrel designs were in fact Ford Early V8 truck gears.

There are a number of differences to these gears, internally and externally. Most notably, some have a two-tooth splined sector shaft, and others used a three tooth design. This will affect the worm needed.

I am sorry to say, I am less familiar with post war Gemmmers, but I am pretty sure they will be easier to get parts for, including seal kits.
Bill Basler

jwoldeboat

Post by jwoldeboat » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:08 am

Jim,
On my 56 Capri steering box I removed the cover plate and thoroughly cleaned out all the old grease/gunk.The gears and bearings seemed to be in good shape and not worn and with no water damage so I did not take them appart.Was able to use the old gaskets as they were fine, put the cover back on and filled the steering box with Lube 120 semi fluid grease 1500w that I ordered from Restoration Supply in Escondido Ca.To get the semi/fluid grease in the steering box I warmed it to lower the viscosity and I also warmed up the steering box so the lube would sink in and flow into the gears and bearings

Captbob626

gemmer steering

Post by Captbob626 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:02 pm

Thanks Bill,and everyone, I'll give that a try.
Bob

jwoldeboat

Post by jwoldeboat » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:45 am

Jim,
Hope this info is not to late but I just redemembered that one thing I did on fillng the steering box with the lube was that before I put the cover back on I packed the lube into the steering box while everything was warm and worked it into the gears and filled all the voids. I used a little acid brush to help work the lube into the gears and void areas while turning the steering shaft to move the gears while adding more lube

Jim Godlewski

Post by Jim Godlewski » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:53 pm

jwoldeboat wrote:Jim,
Hope this info is not to late but I just redemembered that one thing I did on fillng the steering box with the lube was that before I put the cover back on I packed the lube into the steering box while everything was warm and worked it into the gears and filled all the voids. I used a little acid brush to help work the lube into the gears and void areas while turning the steering shaft to move the gears while adding more lube
Nope. Its not too late. I am still reading. The gearbox has made it to the vise and is still in one piece. This information is all very much appreciated.
Jim
1930 Model 100 7152