Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Lancer 23' Gear shift/throttle control source

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the hardware on your classic fiberglass Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

suesailor

Lancer 23' Gear shift/throttle control source

Post by suesailor » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:46 am

Shifter small.jpg
Shifter small.jpg (16.26 KiB) Viewed 4412 times
Here's another item we want to replace. The saltwater sure does it's work on these chrome-plated things on our boat.
"Cheers"
1974 23' Lancer
Mercruiser 350 MPI Straight Inboard (1998)
Sausalito, CA

rgmxk22

Re: Lancer 23' Gear shift/throttle control source

Post by rgmxk22 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:30 pm

Hi,

That looks exactly like the throttle that my XK22 had in it when I bought it. Mine was marked MARMAC and I have had very little luck finding out anything about who was the MARMAC company. I have asked a lot of old marinas over the years and they haven't had much info to offer.

If you're looking for an exact replacement, I don't think a new box will be easy to find unless you get lucky and stumble across one. I have seen used ones sell on ebay, sometimes with a different handle though, but the control box is the same. I did find out that at some point, they changed the diameter of the shaft that the handle attaches to. Yours is probably the smaller diameter shaft since your handle looks exactly like my original one.

When I changed my control box, I did get lucky and found a new old stock control box at a swap meet, but I had to use the newer handle that came with it since my old handle would not fit the new box. Unfortunately for me, I like the look of the older handle just like the one you show over the newer style.

I wish I had better info for you, but I've been trying to find out more about these since 1998 and there's not much out there.

Good luck,
Ron Michael
72 CC XK22
Ohio

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:23 am

MarMac was a supplier of control and steering systems that I recall being particularly popular late 1960's through early to mid 1970's. (give or take). I can't remember whether they went out of business or were absorbed by the competition and eliminated but they went away pretty abruptly leaving a service nightmare due to lack of parts for boats that were in some cases only a year or two old. A relatively minor part issue was expanded to a full system replacement. Unless you are dead set on a purist restoration go for a modern system that is serviceable. I'm sure you can find one that is similar in look. Good Luck!
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:28 am

maybe the best way to retain original look would be to just grind and sand all the pitting out of that one and then replate the slightly smaller piece?

Don't think you are going to have much luck finding one.....and if the guts are serviceable.??..I would grind and replate.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

suesailor

Post by suesailor » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:49 am

We've done a little investigating on having parts re-chromed and we got some very costly quotes back here on the West Coast. For instance, the original chrome bronze bases for the bow rail were going to be about $80 each. Needless to say, we bought brand new stainless steel ones for about $8 to $15 each.

Do you or anybody have a source for re-chroming that is reasonable enough to make sense? We're not trying to restore our boat, we just want it to look good.

Sue
"Cheers"
1974 23' Lancer
Mercruiser 350 MPI Straight Inboard (1998)
Sausalito, CA

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:09 am

Chrome services will likely be less expensive outside of California. If you do decide to try to save your existing lever pay close attention to the splines on both the handle and the shaft it mates to. Also make sure the threads on the set screw are still good once your get it apart (if you can get it apart). This was a problem area. If these areas are in poor condition you may be throwing oats to a dead horse. Bases on the problems we had with these in fresh water(compared to others) I am amazed that yours is as good as it looks, especially being a "salty". This boat must have been really well cared for.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

SvenRonny

Post by SvenRonny » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:25 am

Hi. The gear shift/throttle lever on my Lancer 23 (1976 - recently procured) has cracked and when we removed the lever we noticed that the splines were well worn. Probably the original system. What would a recommended replacement system and supplier be? Does not have to be original, just reliable. THx. Brgds Kieran