Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Canvas decks

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

MikeN

Canvas decks

Post by MikeN » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:41 am

What type and weight canvas is best used on the decks of a pre-war cruiser? Any input and/or sources would help.
Thanks -
Mike

kjhoffman

Re: Canvas decks

Post by kjhoffman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:56 am

Several Years ago Dick Dow and I recanvased the roof of my 1941 34 ft Deluxe Enclosed Chris Craft in Seattle. I purshased the canvas from Ballard canvas and it is about the weight of a pair of Levi jeans. I sanded and sealed the roof and then put down irish felt using stainles stapples give it some padding. Then canvas was then installed with a product called Chill Seal which reminded me of elmers glue. After this dried I painted it with sever coats of marine enamal. The last color was Ocean Blue which is original to my cruiser. There were few rinkles in when we finished but as soon as we used the boat in a rain and the sun hit it a few times it shrunk into a flawless top.

Karl Hoffman
Caretaker of Blue Jay

MikeN

Re: Canvas decks

Post by MikeN » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:07 pm

Thanks for the info, Karl. Just what I was looking for. I am going to contact Ballard next week and I think Doug Brown and I are going to tackle this ourselves.
Mike