Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Chris-Craft Gathering at Walt Disney World

Where do you like to visit? Who has the best show venue? How about the best funnel cakes? Ask your questions and get the answers from our worldwide network of experts.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Chris-Craft Gathering at Walt Disney World

Post by Al Benton » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:12 am

Your Club wants to plan something exciting - A series of Gatherings of Club Members and their Chris-Craft boats. The Board of Directors now has a Special Events Committee to study possibilities of having these in various parts of the country each year and to begin planning the first such event in 2015.

Now, think of a place that perhaps would be “Over-The-Top” for such a gathering, a place that you may never dream could be possible.

How about Walt Disney World in Orlando? An “In-Water Chris-Craft Antique Boat Show “ at the bran-spanking new Boathouse Restaurant in the Downtown Disney Area with docking facilities for as many Chris-Craft boats as we want to bring, well almost; I’m sure there are limits. But 50 boats would be no problem, and they can accommodate many more if needed (150?), according to the Boathouse owners.

Committee member Donald Ploetner II is presently working with the Boathouse people who will coordinate this with Walt Disney World. But before he can go much further we need your input. A tentative date would be sometime in October. An ideal date may be just before Columbus Day. The plan is to conduct a 3 or 4 day event beginning on Thursday or Friday through Sunday. We think that this venue sounds incredible. What do you think? Sound interesting?

For this to become a reality we need your support. Let us hear from you. If there is enough interest, Don and the committee will begin planning this event in earnest. As with any event, the logistics, activities, accommodations, costs, and reservations will call for a few volunteers.

Chime in here with your support. Let’s do this!

On behalf of:
Special Events Committee,
The Board of Directors
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club
Al
Member - Executive Team

drrot

Re: Chris-Craft Gatherings

Post by drrot » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:30 am

I think it is a good idea but think somewhere more centrally located would draw more boats.
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Re: Chris-Craft Gatherings

Post by Al Benton » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:58 am

Jim, this may be true, but this opportunity to have an in-water show in Disney World Florida the same year that the big ACBS International Show will be in Northern Minnesota may be enticing to those who live in that area of the country. The next such event would most definitely be located more centrally.
Al
Member - Executive Team

tkhersom

Re: Chris-Craft Gathering at Walt Disney World

Post by tkhersom » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:02 pm

I think it sounds WONDERFUL! :D

However, I have to admit that I myself will probably not be attending with or without a boat. :(

I hope there are enough people willing to commit because it sounds like a lot of fun.

SEE YOU IN TAVARES!
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

boat_art

Post by boat_art » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:34 pm

Being from Minnesota, I would be there in a heartbeat, if it was in Jan or Feb. October? Nahhh
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.

jim g

Post by jim g » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:41 pm

Will they be giving a big discount on hotel rooms at Disney?

JimF
Club Executive Team

Post by JimF » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:00 pm

At this point we are just trying to gauge the interest of our club members in holding such an event. We have entered into negotiations with the Boathouse but are at the point where we soon need to make a commitment. If there is not sufficient interest from members who will bring their boat and/or volunteer their time, then we may have to let this go for now.

Over the last few years it seems like there has been support for such an event and now we can make it happen. All we need is to hear from YOU!
1930 Chris-Craft Model 100 20' "MOXIE"
1940 Chris-Craft Red and White 25' "Old Paint"
1946 Chris-Craft Sportsman 25' "CinCity"

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:43 pm

Maybe you could just move Disney to McHenry IL.
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

drrot

Post by drrot » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:18 pm

Forget McHenry! I don't even boat around here. How about lake of the Ozarks in MO. Or Pickwick in TN. Someplace where you can boat and enjoy it :D
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

jim g

Post by jim g » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:24 pm

Jim,

I've spent a lot of time on Pickwick. Have you ever been to the waterfall cove on Pickwick? If you have was it on a holiday weekend? If you haven't its something to see.

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:31 pm

I cant bring my cruiser...so I would be out. Now have it at the Mariners Museum where us cruisers can get at it...then im in.
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

mfine

Post by mfine » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:28 pm

It would be cool to take your boat on that lake, but I can't see myself towing that far. I would need to leave Monday if bringing a boat, and I can't see taking a full week off to go to Florida unless it is during one of the truly cold months.

tuobanur

Post by tuobanur » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:41 am

The venue sounds really great but the fact that you can’t really run your boat, which to me is what it’s all about, takes away from the whole experience. It’s more like an indoor show that’s held outside, I think we can come up with something better than that.
Some real lakes, something off the beaten path that hasn't been done yet, for example, here in the upper state of South Carolina there is Lake Jocassee, non commercial, beautiful clear water, surrounded by mountains and there is great accommodations, if you reserve in advance.
An in water boat show, so-to-speak, and there doesn't even have to be any judging, just a good time with the people that you have something in common with.
Terry
1941 Model 101 (16') Deluxe Runabout "Miss Dot"

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:23 am

I believe that if it was planned well ahead of time...we could have a really good turn out on the Chesapeake somewhere...that way there would be a good mixture of runabouts and cruisers....not to mention its a great halfway point on the east coast.
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:54 am

Ryan, I agree! That region is teaming with Chris-Craft cruisers and is within reasonable driving distance for trailered boats in the region.

The intent is to plan events in various regions for all of our members to have an opportunity to gather as a group. Not only in Central Florida, but in other places as well, such as the Chesapeake Bay region, Michigan, the Atlantic Northeast, the Pacific Northwest, Midwest, etc.

So your idea for a Club event in your region is not only valid but a could (should) become a reality.
Al
Member - Executive Team

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:29 pm

To find a nice marina within a short distance from the Mariners museum would be a great way to host a gathering that could include a few days of events....and could be the east coast rendezvous.
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

jahearne

Post by jahearne » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:42 pm

How about a gathering at the Walt Disney Family museum in San Francisco?
John & Wendy

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:42 pm

Ryan,

We could find a marina near the Mariners.....we are due to have another gathering there....let's work on that.

John Rothert

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:53 pm

The latest news on an event at Walt Disney World:
We were advised that considerable construction in the area of the new Boathouse is planned for this summer and into the fall. Access to the area will be limited until after these projects are completed. Although an event will not be possible in October this year, the Boathouse looks forward to hosting a boating event, possibly next year. The committee will continue to keep us advised of future plans for this, as well as other events that are being discussed.

Stay tuned!
Al
Member - Executive Team

jstolte

Post by jstolte » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:08 pm

I'm with Ryan and John. I couldn't take my cruiser to Florida. I see that option is gone, so look to Virgina, Chesapeake Bay would be great, The Mariner's Museum is on the James River, not too bad a choice. There is a mariner's museum in Deltaville too!
John Stolte
1967 Chris Craft Crusader 36'
"Voyager"
1985 Chris Craft Scorpion 21'

CCABC IT Team Volunteer

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:18 pm

This is exactly how our Boat Buzz Un-Plugged gathering at The Mariners' Museum got started in late 2011. We all met there in December of that year. John in VA had an active role in making that gathering a success. We were treated to an exclusive tour of the Chris-Craft Collection at the Library by Patti Hinson and her crew and many of us did a little research while we were there. That indeed could be the stimulus for another gathering, with boats this time. Find a suitable location in the area and go to work, guys. There's quite a few cruisers in and around the Chesapeake Bay area and up and down the coast. There are also concentrations of members with runabouts in the region. If you guys can find a location that can handle both cruisers and runabouts you might be onto something.

The stimulus that started the PNW Chris-Craft Rendezvous near Seattle was a group of Club members that anchored out together, and were noticed. Now they bring 50 to 100 Chris-Craft cruisers together every year.
Al
Member - Executive Team

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:05 pm

I could probably make it to VA. :D

Wouldn't expect to bring a boat though. :(
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:45 pm

I will see Al Benton at Tavares and we will discuss having another event with the Mariner's Museum.

The last one was really special....Jim Evans, Matt Smith and company, Jim Staib...Al and many others.....real all star team of participants....

will reprise for sure,

AFTER Tavares....which can't come soon enough....we got another 6 inches of snow today....

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)