Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Restoration?

Although not a Division, this area is for information unique to Chris-Craft Constellations.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Corsair

Restoration?

Post by Corsair » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:28 pm

I haven't been around boats, let alone wooden ones for 40 to 45 years. BUT as I contemplate retirement, I developed a desire to return to those wonderful times and bought a 45' Constellation. It is in great shape, but missing a few of it's original features. I noticed in the floor (ok - deck) two metal inserts with threaded holes. After asking around a bit, and searching the web, I learned they were to fasten down a Chris Craft made Drop Leaf Table. In my landlubber life I enjoy restoring old cars, and spend a lot of time locating correct original parts at swap meets. Are there swap meets available where I can search for a Drop Leaf Table and the many other detail items I am sure to discover missing? Any suggestions welcome. Also were there other fixed locations where the table could be fastened down? The table photos I have seen make it appear to have a very narrow,thus unstable base. And - another originality question: What color are the CCC scripts at the bow supposed to be? Old color photos I've seen have not been clear. On this boat they are white, but I have seen them in gold on others. Perhaps there were different colors in different years?
Looking forward to your input!
Mark
Last edited by Corsair on Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tkhersom

Re: Drop Leaf Table?

Post by tkhersom » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:36 am

Hi Mark WELCOME!

The closest thing that I know of to a "swap meet" is the various vendors at different boat shows. One of the favorite events is the Sunnyland Antique Boat Festival in Tavares Florida in March. If you can make the trip you will not regret it. :D

The Cruiser World is much smaller than the Runabout World and thus is less served and more of a challenge to find specific items, like a drop leaf table. I have found that it is easiest for me to start every search at Fine Wood Boats. Jim Staib (AKA: drrot) is probably the most knowledgeable person I have met in this hobby. His inventory is amazingly vast, prices are more than fair, and his service is exemplary. IF by some chance he does not have what you want, he usually knows what direction to point you in.
http://www.finewoodboats.com/ :mrgreen:

All that being said I suspect that your best chance of finding the table you are looking for is to find a boat that is being parted out. Like the 38'er on Woody Boater Classifieds. http://classified.woodyboater.com/ad/pa ... s-corsair/ Other then that you will probably have to make one.

Good Luck and welcome to The Nut House!
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:26 am

The drop leaf tables could be secured in two locations. One off to the side primarily for out of the way storage and the other in front of the couch for formal dining.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:35 pm

Wah-hoo!
Table located!
Thank you all in the string of contacts that led from here to John who was saving a table "just for me" on the other side of the country. Interesting that everyone in this community who meets me says: "you bought a boat, are you NUTS!"
Yes, I in fact I was already nuts long before I bought the boat. I ran my freshly restored 1928 sleeve valve powered classic car three years in a row in the Great Race. Last one was Jacksonville to Monterey. Adventures in life make for great memories and a host of new good friends. The Constellation is our newest adventure! This asylum is also full of obviously great folks. Thank you all.
Mark

Corsair

Re: Restoration?

Post by Corsair » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:39 pm

We are excited about this boat primarily due to the high level of maintenance and care it has received. Since it is winter here, I have been doing research on the boat, and have found some spares for possible future needs. A couple weeks ago I spent my Saturday pulling a pair of 431HR's out of a salvage boat "just in case". Same reduction ratios and close S/N's. I'm fortunate to live in a rural place with a pole barn for storage. The motors are complete with all accessories. Somewhat unfortunately, the prior week I had purchased a low hours 431 out of a runabout. No reduction gear-just a transmission. Not sure I wanted to begin stock piling engines, but they are here now, and I couldn't turn down the deal on the pair. We want to keep the boat as original as possible, but had been wondering about the light color of the woodwork in the boat :| . Reminds me of the late '50s blond color. We assumed it had been redone early in it's use. Having also obtained '61 thru '65 color catalogs, and studying the "Decorative Styling Specifications" from the Mariner's Museum we learned otherwise. It appears that "satin cordova" was the most used interior color - but not in our boat. The other options appear to have been "satin driftwood" and "satin fruitwood". Our boat was blessed with "Satin Driftwood" :cry: . A previous owner stripped that driftwood color out of the owners cabin and refinished it in cordova. I also found a brochure of a fruitwood salon with cordova window trim. That last option may occur in our boat. Stripping and restaining the whole cabin would be a massive job. I'll attempt to post updated plans and progress as it occurs. Input is welcome.
Mark

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:36 pm

I LOVE pictures! :D

BrokenRule2

Post by BrokenRule2 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:07 pm

I can relate as I did the same with our previous 1961 32' Connie. However, the previous owner twice back re-stained the interior the darker 1958-60 color and I was not going to try to go back to the lighter stain. It's plywood so not much sanding room. I do love the period look and options. Go with the advice on the Buzz and keep an eye out for "really good deals" via craigslist.com for boats. It's amazing what is out there. Just be careful and not get a back-up boat :shock: for various parts.

What year is your new boat?

Post some photos and videos - or provide links to them.

Mike
1959 40' Connie "Lucky Girl" saga of a free boat!

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:41 am

If you want advice, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:59 pm

OK. Figured out how to add the address of the boat pictures from the Hull Registry. Simple - copied Troy....Always glad to know another Maine-iac. We lived in Biddeford and then South Portland while I was in the USCG decades and decades ago. Eldest son was born in Biddeford! We even toured right past Troy on a vintage car trip last summer. Drove from North Conway to Owls Head & back with lots of detours.

The Corsair was new in 1962 and delivered to Minnesota. It has always been on the Mississippi.

Doubt I'll buy a boat for parts. Too hard to get it home. We're a minimum of 250 miles from larger water where a boat like this would be. However I do have a dually pickup and a couple car trailers for parts!

Please take a look at the pictures in the Hull Registry. See link below.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:04 am

Thanks for the photos. She does look to be in great condition. Check out the mechanical systems, plumbing , wiring, engines , running gear, etc. That stuff is 50 years old at this point and could need a bit of attention. Get as much info as you can from previous owner and her service yard about what's been replaced and serviced over the years. That will help you determine a preventative maintenance schedule down the road. Looks like a good retirement plan to me. Good Luck and Have Fun.

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:48 pm

Mark she is a real BEAUTY!

If you make it back to Maine, please feel free to contact me, would love to take you for a ride if we can make the timing work. :D

Am very interested in you location and your retirement plans. Sandi (my Boatress) and I are talking about doing The Great Loop when we retire. (may start doing it in stages before retirement) As much as I LOVE the woodies we are looking at Commanders or Aluminum Roamers as the live aboard of choice. Would love to cruise with you one day. :mrgreen:

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:19 pm

Whoa: Finally done with the holidays! One pre-Christmas santa run to Illinois to deliver gifts and see grandkids. Then back home to the Fargo area for five days of rotating company as other kids and their families could come. Whole family now aware of the big boat purchase. Most think we're NUTS and a few REALLY NUTS. However all gifts we received were boat stuff. We're getting the hints they may sneak aboard for a look and a ride. Three grandkids have laid claim to the top bunk in the forward cabin.. could be dicey. Have to be careful how I reel in the big kids so I can get some maintenance help. We are spending our time reading books on navigation and wood boat maintenance, studying charts and planning future trips. First priority is to ensure the hull and mechanical systems are up to snuff, and then spend a couple months of shakedown cruising. Hope to get one long run in next fall - perhaps St. Paul to Chicago and back. If confidence is good, the next trip would be St. Paul to Duluth via Chicago. The big dream would be the great loop. We've read 4 books so far on that adventure, and it looks great. I'll draw Social Security by then so my check should cover the fuel. One bigger ticket item we should consider soon will be navigation. Any suggestions out there ie: Garmin vs Raymarine ve any others? I'll add other features in the future years like weather and radar...especially if the great loop is a reality.
Thanks

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:53 am

Mark:

Nice to hear from you and read about your plans. Sounds like we are on similar paths. My son gave me membership to the AGLCA (America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association). I have been enjoying reading lots of posts on what people are doing and their opinions on boats, insurance, locations, and people involved. We will be looking for a different boat for The Loop and will keep all informed as that progresses.

As far as navigation goes I am very pleased with the Garmin we have on American Beauty. It can be connected to their radar products so you can lay radar over the chart. I have not made that investment, but think the concept is awesome. I have also not used any of the other brands so I can not compare them.

Good Luck!
Attachments
ModDSC07194.jpg
Helm of American Beauty with a Garmin 741xs
ModDSC07176.jpg
Garmin 741xs as we pass through Upper Hells Gate

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:23 pm

Love your synchronize meter

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:00 pm

Mark, sounds to me that you should have a sign made to tease all those relatives when they come to visit next summer.

LOAD LIMIT:
Cocktails for 6
Dinner for 4
Sleeps 2

When navigating the Mississippi River we didn't have electronics (except for the depth finder). We used Corps of Engineers Navigation Charts and flipped the pages as we progressed. Hard to justify much more than that for our baby Connie. We followed a 44' Roamer that had full navigation one summer and left the chart book in the cabin. That was a fun cruise.

Beautiful Constellation!
Al
Member - Executive Team

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:04 am

Wow, really beautiful cruiser...good luck and Go Boating!

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:25 pm

I was looking our boat over last weekend after I removed the winter cover. I noticed repair work on the Mast / anchor light assembly. It's the assembly that leans forward like a ballerina. It is a structurally good repair, but poor aesthetics. This must be a zinc or pot metal casting. It was broken just below the anchor light and welded together, then ground to somewhat near original shape. This is a 1962 45' Constellation CAC-0036 that we bought last fall. I sure would like to find a replacement. Any ideas - or parts in your bins?
Thanks,
Mark Young

drrot

Post by drrot » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:01 am

Post a photo of it.
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:03 am

Corsair wrote:I was looking our boat over last weekend after I removed the winter cover. I noticed repair work on the Mast / anchor light assembly. It's the assembly that leans forward like a ballerina. It is a structurally good repair, but poor aesthetics. This must be a zinc or pot metal casting. It was broken just below the anchor light and welded together, then ground to somewhat near original shape. This is a 1962 45' Constellation CAC-0036 that we bought last fall. I sure would like to find a replacement. Any ideas - or parts in your bins?
Thanks,
Mark Young
I start (and usually end) all my parts searches with Jim Staib @ finewoodboats.com :D

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:19 am

Mark,

Beautiful boat!! I'm amazed at how much more room you get in only 8' more than mine (36' Connie). Keep us posted as you go!!

Troy! I can't believe you're going to dessert us Woodies for your Grand Loop/Live Aboard!! From all indications you'll miss the quiet & smooth ride with Fibreglas or Metal - but I don't have any experiences so what do I know?

Look forward to more posts Mark!!
Bill Hammond
1960 36' Connie
Flint/Port Huron, MI
http://www.chris-craft.org/registry/vie ... at_id=1708

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:35 pm

whamm511 wrote:
Troy! I can't believe you're going to dessert us Woodies for your Grand Loop/Live Aboard!! From all indications you'll miss the quiet & smooth ride with Fibreglas or Metal - but I don't have any experiences so what do I know?
I have been told that the Commanders are such heavy tanks that they ride a lot like a wood boat. :D

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:33 pm

yes Troy Boy,

And YOU have Commander written all over you...perfect boat....38 footer.......only consider the 64-65-66 versions...I think they ditched the mostly wood interiors after that. Fuel cost and mileage/ green considerations make these tanks expensive to run but some have diesels.....
Best part is that unlike most classic age trawlers the commanders are fast enough to get you out of bad weather or situations....but you can run them slow and cut you fuel consumption....sort of the best of both worlds...even if old world.

American Beauty could do the loop...but she would hardly be a the beauty she is now at the end of that trip/saga.

I knew friends in Canada that made the loop in a 30 foot wooden Connie......had to be 20-25 years ago.....wrote up the trip in some Canadian cruising mag......one issue was the trip down and a later issue covered the trip back up the father of waters and etc. We through scores of locks and under hundreds of bridges etc etc. I will have to dig that up.

John in Va. Going boating this week!
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:34 pm

and one more thing Troy,

That pic of the Helm Station on Am B........best I have ever seen.....over the top!
I have got to come north and see that boat...get her in the water......
John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:19 am

jfrprops wrote: I have got to come north and see that boat...get her in the water......
John in Va.
You are welcome any time. Shooting for a June launch this year, will keep you up to date. :D

I think you would be more comfortable on AB then you were on Gottago. :wink:

jahearne

Post by jahearne » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:03 pm

Doug P wrote:Love your synchronize meter
LOL
John & Wendy

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:06 pm

Troy - Thanks for the tip. I got a replacement part for the anchor light "mast" from Jim at Fine Wood Boats. Great to deal with. Hoping to get "Corsair" in the water in about two weeks. My grown kids have been consuming our time. Grandbaby #10 arrived in Chicago area on 4/12 and #11 arrived in Minneapolis area on 4/21. Can't keep Grandma away --- well she did second the motion to buy the boat, so she is entitled. Hope to get bottom paint on and bilge repainted prior at expected launch date on 5/13. I got the wiring diagram from Mariners Museum, and am working on wiring upgrade plans to modern standards. Just finished six books on marine wiring. Best was Boatowner"s Electrical and Mechanical Manual by Nigel Calder. All great stuff, but a lot to wade through. Grandkid #3 graduating from HS Memorial Day Weekend. After that, clear sailing. Grandma warming up to a Great Loop trip. Current disclaimer "If we do it in stages & fly home to see grandkids". Hmm I can live with that.

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:08 am

Mark: I look forward to hearing about the launch!

Wow 11 grandkids that is awesome. :D

I know you have been in a huge learning curve with this new adventure. If you are serious about doing the loop at any time in the future I would recommend joining the AGLCA (America's Great Loop Cruisers Association). There is a lot of information to be gleaned and they have events all over the place. I just joined in December so it is still new to me. http://www.greatloop.org/content.aspx?p ... _id=574480
They are running a spring special right now where you save $20 on the membership.

Keep us informed and update.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:22 am

KIMG0249.jpg
May 15, 2016 launch day
Tine is flying by. I spent 3 days on my back sanding and repainting the anti fouling paint on the boat. On May 15 she went into the water. We had a winter here with very little snow and very dry humidity levels. My first experience waiting for it to soak up was a bit nerve racking. After 3 days the bilge pump finally got a rest, and all is well. Attached is a photo of May 15 launch day. A previous owner stopped by and gave me a photo of the Corsair being launched in the early 1980's before the top was extended. Interesting contrast.
Mark
Attachments
0604161347a.jpg
Early 1980's launch.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:26 am

Looking great! Beautiful cruiser! Happy Boating!

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:37 pm

Great job!!!

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30