Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Relay for 6V Pertronix?

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

CaptainSeth

Relay for 6V Pertronix?

Post by CaptainSeth » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:06 am

I recently put in the pertronix kit in my 1939 17' Deluxe Utility with the original Model B. It still runs 6V with an Optima battery. Apparently while cranking the pertonix didn't have enough voltage to be happy. When I jumper +6V straight from the battery to the ignition unit everything works great. It's been suggested I add a relay. Does the Pertronix 2001 relay work for 6V? Any other relay recommendations? I wanted the reliability of the pertronix but wanted to retain as much of the stock look as possible. I was okay with adding a second wire from the distributor to the coil, I'm not sure where to hide a relay and associated wires so it's not obvious. Tips? My ammeter also stopped working during this (not sure if it's related or not). Any tips to test it? Just sits at 0. Thanks for your wealth of knowledge!
Captain Seth
Portland Boat Tours

jim g

Re: Relay for 6V Pertronix?

Post by jim g » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:02 pm

Just keep your battery fully charge with a battery tender. Pertronix 6 volt kits need around 5 and half volts to energize.

If you amp meters not working then your generator is probably not working.

cenger

Post by cenger » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:05 pm

Seth,
I had a similar problem. Went to a group4 6 volt batter and problem solved.
1935 Gar Wood 16-35
1929 Gar Wood 28-30

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:38 pm

For the ammeter it could be the generator, cutout relay or the meter. Get a voltmeter and first measure where the wire from the generator connects to the relay. If you have voltage then the generator is okay. If not then it is the generator. Next check for voltage on the other side of the relay (where it goes to the ammeter ). If you have voltage there then the relay is okay. If not then it is bad. Next check the other side of the ammeter (where it goes to the battery). If no voltage there then the meter is bad.

Hope this makes sense.

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:52 am

I put Pertronix in Yorktown this spring. She has an MCL still running on a 6V system. So far it has been great. Using a regular 6V Napa battery of the highest cranking amps I could get. :D

I used to run Optima batteries in my trucks, but a few years ago they were bought out and I was encouraged to steer away from them as their quality had dropped. I did not verify this claim, just went ahead and purchased other batteries.

It sounds to me like a coincidence that your generator stopped working at the same time that you installed your ignition.
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

CaptainSeth

Post by CaptainSeth » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:16 am

Update: The ammeter issue was probably unrelated. I checked the old manual cutout and it was functioning properly and ammeter now shows discharging and charging with rpm as normal now. I keep a maintainer on the Optima when I'm not running so I know it's fully charged but there's still not enough juice during cranking to keep the Pertronix happy. Sounds like a new battery is next. Thanks all!
Captain Seth
Portland Boat Tours

jim g

Post by jim g » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:44 pm

CaptainSeth wrote:Update: The ammeter issue was probably unrelated. I checked the old manual cutout and it was functioning properly and ammeter now shows discharging and charging with rpm as normal now. I keep a maintainer on the Optima when I'm not running so I know it's fully charged but there's still not enough juice during cranking to keep the Pertronix happy. Sounds like a new battery is next. Thanks all!
If the starter hasn't been rebuilt in a long time. Having it taking apart, clean and lubed would help with it spinning the engine over faster.

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:59 pm

CaptainSeth wrote:................. I keep a maintainer on the Optima when I'm not running so I know it's fully charged ..............
FYI:

Optima's are AGM (Absorbent Glass Matt) batteries. If your maintainer is not designed specifically for AGM batteries it will actually shorten the life of your battery. :?
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat