Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Paint Question

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jbyers

Paint Question

Post by jbyers » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:27 pm

I am in the process of finally painting my 58 CC Cavalier (plywood). I put on about 7 coats of primer and I am using Pettit Ezy Poxy (one part) topcoat. It is laying down so well and any small bubbles are popping and leveling themselves out so that I don't have to tip it off. After the first coat dried, there were a handful of pin head size bumps caused by knats or dust that settled on the surface before the paint dried. They easily came out with just fine scotch brite pads or a piece of 220 sand paper.

My question is what do I do to remove these if there are some remaining in the final coat?

Buff? If so, do you use a high speed car buffer?

Or,

Just scotch brite that small spot and paint over it, feathering into the surrounding paint?

Thanks in advance,

Captain Nemo

Re: Paint Question

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:43 pm

The bugs or the bubbles? :lol: It's hard to get a perfect finish without a paint booth. I learn to live with a few imperfections.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:06 pm

:P It's the engineer in me. I see things most people would walk past and never notice...... drives me crazy. It's not like there aren't a number of imperfections in the surface of the wood. I had to pick a point to stop at and start priming. A few little dots shouldn't bother me so much.

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:03 pm

We try to do the best we can with what we have to work with. I'm sure your finished product will look great!

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:45 pm

Captain Nemo wrote:We try to do the best we can with what we have to work with. I'm sure your finished product will look great!
Boat owner's lament...just one more coat

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:10 pm

Don't encourage me. I bought way too much paint, so I could just keep going and going............

island time

Post by island time » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:50 pm

I have been down the road you are going. I don't mean to be negative but your choice of paint will come back to haunt you.
The first time I painted the SeaSkiff I used a monourethane which gave excellent results in terms of gloss and abrasion resistance but I quickly learned that this product like most urethanes and epoxies are too hard once cured and will crack rather than flex with the wood movement. After fighting with this problem for 3 years I stripped the boat to bare wood and started over using good old fashioned oil base primer and oil based porch and deck enamel as a top coat. I now get 4-5 years before repainting is necessary

Craig

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:41 pm

It was my understanding Craig that the one part polyurethanes were formulated primarily for wood boats to avoid those problems. I understood it was the two part polyurethanes to avoid.......

I'm a beginner here, but I'd like to hear some more feedback from some of the members on this topic.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:44 pm

I have used Ezy poxy for about 15 years and found it a very good finish paint on wood, fiberglass and steel. Have a wherry done about 12 years ago...only problem was fading in intense sun.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:18 am

I use Imterlux Brightside on my cruiser. She's exposed to the elements all summer and stored inside in freezing cold, damp storage in the winter. Owned her for ten years. First paint job hull sides were stripped then two coats of pre-coat primer and two coats of finish. I touch up every year and sand with 120 and do a refresher coat every three years. Too much paint is as bad as not enough. You don't want a lot of build up. Just enough to protect the wood and look good. Always apply paint with the next repaint in mind. Paint requires maintenance and always fails eventually. That's one of the reasons a lot of folks prefer fiberglass. I like to paint and there's nothing prettier than a fresh coat on an old wooden boat. Polyurethanes are somewhat harder and more brittle than standard oil base. Cracking depends on the wood type being coated. Some plywood veneers are very grainy and the movement of the grain will transfer through the paint causing crazing.

Don't drive yourself crazy. Put a couple of nice coats of finish on her and as John in VA says "GO BOATING". If the finish starts to crack or dull out give her a sand and freshen it up with a nice top coat. Don't worry about having bought too much paint. It won't go bad and you'll need it for your next repaint. Happy Boating!

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:43 am

Thanks for the explanation.......... glad to know the unopened paint will still be useable since it sounds like I would need it. There was considerable cracking in the old paint, but not knowing the boat's history there is no telling what type of paint had been used on it. I guess as you say, just move on and get it in the water.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice.

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:35 am

jbyers wrote:It was my understanding Craig that the one part polyurethanes were formulated primarily for wood boats to avoid those problems. I understood it was the two part polyurethanes to avoid.......

I'm a beginner here, but I'd like to hear some more feedback from some of the members on this topic.

+1 on this. 8)

island time

Post by island time » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:22 am

Yes Jim,
After much research I was under the impression that I had purchased the correct product for the application. That's why I was so disappointed when I had to start over and use a different product. I'm not a professional painter by any stretch, I followed the rules to the letter and still learned the hard way that just because the manufacturer says it's so doesn't make it so. I just want to help others avoid the pitfalls I encountered and consequently overcame at great expense.

Craig
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1968 23' Chris Craft lancer
1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns
1972 19' Chris Craft Lancer
1957 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1958 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1968 23' Chris Craft Commander

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:57 am

If painting a wood boat.- the problems usually are painting a "damp" surface.

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:18 pm

I posted this before but I will add my comment to this thread too. Much like Joanroy, I wooded my cruiser and applied two coats of Interlux Brightside primer, sanded translucent, then two topcoats of Brightside with light sanding in between. I applied it with a brush and it went on very nicely. It is a good but certainly not a perfect finish. I was very fussy about making sure the surface was clean and, as was said already by Doug P, dry as dust. I have done some touch up where the surface was marred or dinged, but never a complete repaint. So far there is no chalking, peeling or blistering. Dry wood is the key, in my opinion. Similarly, if you paint over punky wood, it will show up pretty quickly. Here is a picture taken this year of my 1992 paint job. Do not expect paint to smooth out imperfections by building it up. That is accomplished by filling and fairing. Otherwise, don't sweat it too much.... your boat will look great.
Attachments
M2240015.JPG
Stbd forward looking up.
M2380006.JPG
Stbd looking aft. The seams have opened a bit because Elude has been in refit for quite a while.
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser

island time

Post by island time » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:56 pm

As I read the input from others I may have just found a potential source of my troubles with Brightside, :idea: it's entirely possible that I applied too many coats to build mil thickness to hide imperfections. Also, my experience with brightside showed me that the white did not cover well so I may have applied too much thickness to improve hide. As was stated earlier in the thread, too many coats are not necessarily a good thing. :roll:
So if that was the case for me, it goes back to the old rule of thumb stating that preparation is everything. Don't count on the topcoat to cover imperfections.

Craig
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1968 23' Chris Craft lancer
1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns
1972 19' Chris Craft Lancer
1957 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1958 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1968 23' Chris Craft Commander

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:01 pm

IMG_1964.JPG
Progress report...

Final coat (I hope) of seafoam green. Going to use fighting lady yellow just above the green. Platinum for the decks and top rub rail (whatever they call it). Stay tuned.
Attachments
IMG_1966.JPG
IMG_1965.JPG

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:58 pm

Bold paint scheme. That should get some attention. 8)

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:31 pm

Ha ha........ definitely bold........... I was going for the old style colors, but somewhat surprised it was that bright. At least if it breaks down and I call for help, I won't be hard to find. 8)

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:12 pm

Cool

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:31 pm

Thanks RP :D

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:18 pm

Struggling to find colors that "pop"............... NOT
Attachments
IMG_1986.JPG
IMG_1985.JPG
IMG_1984.JPG

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:13 pm

I think you will be surprised at how bright your boat will appear in natural light, especially on the water. Personally, I like the colour scheme you have.

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:05 pm

Thanks Robert........ I think it's growing on me............

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:36 pm

NOW YOU DON'T NEED NAVIGATION LIGHTS

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:14 pm

Good point Doug..........

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:47 pm

OK, here is the first coat of Platinum paint on the top surfaces. It looks pretty good against the fighting lady yellow, but I am not sure about how it will look with the seafoam green. I'll see when I take the masking off...........
Attachments
IMG_1996.JPG
IMG_1998.JPG
IMG_1997.JPG