Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Fakebook hurting Boat Buzz?

Are you in need of information regarding "the way it was?" Or are you are a walking "who's-who" of Chris-Craft history? Share what you don't know—or do know here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jfrprops

Fakebook hurting Boat Buzz?

Post by jfrprops » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:36 am

what is the deal with the fall off in post on Boat Buzz...some suggest the evil Fakebook page is sucking content?
Let's remember you can't archive stuff off of fakebook like our boat buzz...this stuff is important and we need to save it for future CC researchers.....????

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

robertpaul

Re: Fakebook hurting Boat Buzz?

Post by robertpaul » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:41 am

I'm doing my best John....
Attachments
M2780008.JPG
Keep on shaving wood!
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:40 am

Is there no official association between CCABC and the FB page?

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:55 pm

I think, in part, it has to do with the fact that less folks are interested in old wooden CC's and the majority of the few fans left no longer have the skill or interest in doing their own restorations. The skills required are out of vogue. Facebook and gadgeting are in. Carpentry, finishing, mechanics, etc. are out.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:10 pm

jfrprops wrote:what is the deal with the fall off in post on Boat Buzz...some suggest the evil Fakebook page is sucking content?
Let's remember you can't archive stuff off of fakebook like our boat buzz...this stuff is important and we need to save it for future CC researchers.....????

John in Va.

AGREE, CCABC on Fakebook is more for non members
Boat Buzz posts are way down.

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:52 pm

I accessed the Facebook page today for the first time after reading these posts. I dislike Facebook because it is only in chronological order, whereas this site nicely groups threads and is easy to follow. Despite this, I concede that the Facebook page seems to be garnering more projects and followers. It IS displacing this forum. As grateful as I am for the few members who consistently comment and make brilliant suggestions (all of which have helped me enormously) on my thread about rebuilding Elude, I am thinking that there is declining interest. I will continue to post here, but it is a bit discouraging. I saw one post on the Facebook page where someone is working on a cruiser hull like my 35' 1937, and I would love to share knowledge, but Facebook is a poor forum for that. In the spirit of sharing, I suggest that steam bending a 4' piece of 7/8" mahogany is really tough. It is just too short. You may want to try laminating 3 pieces that add up in thickness to 7/8" with epoxy glue as you easily bend them into the compound curve. Use a few dowels so they don't move around when you clamp them together. Good night Mrs. Calabash... where ever you are.

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:52 am

I will continue to post here. I will not go to the Dark Side☠️.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:33 am

The hope is to get people who would not know of The Boat Buzz aware and interested through FB and then they become members and increase our membership and activity here. Unfortunately there seems to be an attitude of "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:50 am

tkhersom wrote:The hope is to get people who would not know of The Boat Buzz aware and interested through FB and then they become members and increase our membership and activity here. Unfortunately there seems to be an attitude of "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"

While I subscribe to many CC sites on FB, I see reposts of same articles on EVERY site. This redundancy has made me shut down all FB sites of CC content :(

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:08 pm

Just need to liven it up a bit with some great photos with captivating descriptions. Show and Tell! I'm not great at a posting photos, but I'll see what I can come up with. Troy? Robs doing his part.

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:58 pm

Know who you are dealing with. The "me" generation want instant gratification and reassurance.

Telling new members that they lack the skills to restore boats is a no no.

Other forums allow "likes" of posts and titles of members that post accurate and helpful advice versus blind opinion. Maybe that could be applied here.

Instead of worrying about losing to other forms of social media why not look at other examples and be proactive.

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:15 am

That's a problem. There is no such thing as instant gratification if you take on a restoration yourself. Takes time and a tremendous amount of skill and work. The only way to get the instant gratification, is to visit the professional restorer and write the check. My take, the main purpose of The Buzz is to help the do it yourselfer who's willing to learn and spend the countless hours It takes to complete a restoration. New members can certainly learn and are always welcome. Just need to have the time and patience and no expectations of instant gratification. I love working on wooden boats!

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:55 am

a poster above signed off with "with goodnight Mrs. Calabash wherever you are"....that is the problem! If you are old enough to remember Jimmy Durante.....you are too old to appreciate Fakebook!

I am going boating....sorry I started this thread.....

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:52 pm

I never said they had to complete the restoration instantly.

What I said was they want instant feedback when they post progress on their project with likes and comments that are positive reassurance. That is usually what they get from Facebook.

Mark

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:39 pm

Using the CCABC Public Facebook page, I found the site for the Naval Museum in Quebec City and their restoration of the Jeffy Jan II. They have even provided film from when the boat was originally delivered and used by the military during the war. It is a carbon copy of our 1937 35' Double Enclosed Cruiser and I was thrilled to see everything on their Facebook page. We are now planning a trip to QC this summer to see the boat. The museum is free but we intend to leave a donation for the good work they do. By the way, even though I remember Jimmy Durante, I am quite able to use Facebook and chew gum at the same time. The Club has my thanks for the idea of the Public site.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:20 am

I don't chew gum either.....

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30

jnbailey71

Post by jnbailey71 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:10 pm

I personally have stopped using boat buzz as frequently as I was for a few reasons.

1. The general decline of folks posting on the forum, it used to be exciting when I could sign on every day and read and see a bunch of relevant stuff to my restoration. I stopped visiting so frequently because people stopped posting so frequently.

2. The tremendous amount of experts and conflicting opinions. I know everyone has great experience and opinions are like you know whats, but I have had a problem with posting a question and it spinning off into a topic completely unrelated to my question.

3. The willingness to provide unsolicited information. Not everyone who is on this forum is looking to go out and win over judges. I personally am restoring a boat that has been in my family for 40 years, I want to enjoy it over the next 60+ years and therefore I am making changes that are not going to be judged well, but that is my prerogative. I've posted before, pictures of a wood supplier I went to, progress on my restoration, only to be met with the "Fact Police" making sure I know that I am using different wood than what came from the factory. News to everyone- all the wood we use today is different than what came from the factory, newer trees, poorer quality, etc.

I think this forum is a great tool for all, I cannot express how grateful I have been for many of the people who have provided great guidance to me. I understand everyone comes out here to browse the pages with their free time and do appreciate that. Hopefully some of what I have said will lean some insight into the decline in traffic.
Josh Bailey
1958 15' Chris-Craft Cavalier Utility K95

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:26 pm

Well said Josh. I am on board with everything that you have stated here.

If there was a "like" button I would have clicked on it instead of typing this response.

Mark

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:47 am

Yes, Josh....you make good points.
three of them.

as to the first: decline in traffic pertaining to your specific interest. That happens ....but I wonder if the fakebook deal contributes to that? ?? Not a lot of folks doing the same projects....so traffic in relevant info tapers off I guess.

as to #2: That definitely happens, a lot. I am guilty of it...spinning off on a tangent ..... In my case I think I must do that because I don't really know how to start another topic on that spin off subject without a lot of ground work/explanation etc etc.
You are certainly correct though.

#3 Right on.

thanks for the posting.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30

bflaherty

Post by bflaherty » Thu May 04, 2017 6:42 pm

I recently saw a post on the CCABC Facebook page from someone who actually stated that they decided not to renew their CCABC membership because they can see everything they need on Facebook for free... To me, this just seems wrong! Other boat clubs I am involved with are experience similar declines in individual club website hits. For the most part I don't think FB is the direct culprit but rather just one of many that draw people away from specific club sites.

It would be a challenge due to the reach of CCABC but perhaps some regional meet ups might help rebuild interest.. If people aren't showing off their restoration projects as much perhaps it is because not as many people are actively working on restoration projects? Perhaps folks are just more into going out and using their boats now.

I for one, still log on at least once a week to check on the happenings, and I will continue to renew my membership and support the club as long as I am financially able and have an interest in old boats!
Brian Flaherty
1969 Chris-Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "TUPPERWARE"

"You'll never discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Fri May 05, 2017 8:34 am

Well said Brian, hang with us....! Glad to have you.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Fri May 12, 2017 6:27 am

To not renew is very short sited. Without members the club will not survive, period.

My own lessened activity on Boat Buzz is multi-faceted.

1) I do not seem to be getting notices any longer when someone else makes a post on a thread that I am following. That was very handy and peaked my interest in what others were saying. I will have to look into that, which brings me to #2)

2) Getting involved as a member of the Board of Directors and now President of the club, my allotted free time is chewed up with more pressing CCABC stuff.

As far as taking thing down different roads in a thread I will say the best way to prevent that is to start a new thread and place a link to that thread in your comment in whatever thread lead you to it. This way you can be directed to the new thread but not Hi Jack someones thread.

In conclusion I would say that all things like this ebb and flow, and The Buzz is just in a bit of an ebb right now.

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Fri May 12, 2017 9:11 am

troy, there was formerly a feature on boat buzz that alerted one to all of the postings when made, not just specific sites that one had posted on. I think that fell by the wayside in the course of migrating the site away from the previous system. Actually, there werent all that many so it was not overwhelming and often stimulated one to check out a new post. I at least would enjoy having that feature back. thanks.

Actually now that i think about it, it may have been a summary of the various subjects posted during the previous 24 hours or something like that?
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"

island time

Post by island time » Sun May 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Hi all.
I just read this entire thread start to finish and I can agree with most all of the comments here.
Although it appears that I am a new member I am not. Some of the long standing members might remember when I was "57chris" back around 2007 or so. At that time I was restoring my first boat-a 1957 18' SeaSkiff and I could not wait to get home from work every day to check out the new posts by others and post new questions or post progress on my project because there were always members on to communicate with.
Well I finished my first and second boats obtaining vast amounts of information and how-to help from people that cared about their hobby and were genuinely interested in my projects. After having done two boats I was no expert by any means but I was in fact able to start helping others who were in the same position I had been in just a few short years earlier and was eager to do so.
After a few years I grew tired of the bickering between self appointed experts and eventually dropped out.
More recently I have not undertaken any new projects rather spending my time enjoying the ones I had already done-that is until last year. "Honey-it followed me home can I keep it?"
A new project for my spare time and money! A 1968 Chris Craft 23' Commander.
Like with my other projects I wanted to connect with others that shared a common interest. This started with the Commander Club and the Commander Forum.
I thought I would pick right up where I left off so many years earlier but things were not the same as they had been with the Boat Buzz, I would post questions and sometimes people would respond but sometimes not. I could post a new thread and possibly get a reply but it would end there-no followups. It was like pulling teeth trying to keep a thread going so this not being much fun I remembered Boat Buzz having a fiberglass interest section I turned back to my old friend Boat Buzz. Enter new member "Island Time"!
Strangely I found similar experiences here. Posting questions and not getting any replies, answering someone else's question and not getting so much as a thank you back. I thought I had inadvertently pissed somebody off and was being black balled.
Not having anything to do with any type of social media as they call it I never knew until I read this thread that there was any type of competition for forum space.
So if I understand correctly the problem is that people are just not spending their time here, they are hanging out in spacebook instead.
So what is the solution? I will never have anything to do with facebook and such, I prefer the "old school" forums. Are we just a dying breed faced with extinction?
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1968 23' Chris Craft lancer
1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns
1972 19' Chris Craft Lancer
1957 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1958 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1968 23' Chris Craft Commander

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Tue May 16, 2017 11:01 am

Well Island Time,....I agree with you completely and I stared this thread/mess. Some time for reflection and comment having passed...I will just check in and re-shout A'INT GOIN THERE" to fakebook and the type.

If that winds this great OLD forum down to scant comments....well, like the end of the age of the big cruiser, that is just the way it is I guess.

I would suspect I am still among the most prolific posters on Boat Buzz...and I will continue to check in and respond...if only to keep up with the many friends I have made along the way.

but the technology, if not achievement, marches on....I turn 70 next week and plan on GOING BOATING! with real...not cyber friends.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Fri May 19, 2017 7:57 am

Island Time: I am sorry that you ever felt black listed. Non of that goes on here, that I know of.

I will make one comment about something you posted here and it also goes for many many others. I personally used my initials and name when I first logged on to Boat Buzz because different boats come and go, so if I use a boat name to post I will need to change it when that boat is gone and no one will know it is the same person posting. Unfortunately we can't even click on someones log on name and find out who they are. I have had this same challenge with nick names since there is no reference to the actual person. If people want to say anonymous that is fine, but if you want others to know who you actually are use something more personal.

Thanks to all who keep this forum alive! :D

island time

Post by island time » Sat May 20, 2017 8:06 am

Troy,
You are spot on about the identity issue. That is one thing I remember from earlier days, it feels very impersonal trying to carry on a conversation with a screen name.
Through all the years I knew the real name of just one member, we formed a great friendship with wood boating being our common bond even though we still have never met in person.
I personally enjoy meeting new people that I share an interest with even if it is on a forum (in person would be better) but would like to have a real name to address them. When I walk around at the shows I wonder how many of these people I know as a screen name but have never met and never will meet in person.
With all the ways hackers have to gain your identity today, does it really matter if we post our names here?
I'm not a fugitive hiding from the law, my name is Craig Wilson and I live in Churchville, NY.
I would love to find anyone in my area that has an interest in wood boats or boats in general to communicate with but with this identity barrier I could be living right down the road from someone with similar interests and never know.
I don't have an answer on how to fix this, merely making an observation.
Well I've rambled on long enough but I will end by saying thank you to all that have helped me and shared knowledge and information over the years. I wish I could call you by name.

Craig
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1968 23' Chris Craft lancer
1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns
1972 19' Chris Craft Lancer
1957 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1958 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1968 23' Chris Craft Commander

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sat May 20, 2017 10:41 am

yes Craig...good points.

I use JFRPROPS as my screen name or whatever you call it....simply because it is the acronym for my business...and I can thus remember it. The John In Va deal is more personal I guess.

Problem I have is that when at shows I want to meet up with the folks I have made friends with on this site...soooo: at Dora and other places I wear a stupid big name tag thing with those names on one side and my own on the other....depending on which way the wind blows the tag....you may or may not get ME!

John Rothert
John in Va.
jfrrprops
Going Boating! yes, today....
1980 Fairchild Scout 30