Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Cavalier engine restoration-where to start?

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

ChrisCav63

Cavalier engine restoration-where to start?

Post by ChrisCav63 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:44 pm

HI CCABC Friends
Several years ago, I ‘rescued’ a 1963 CC Cavalier Futura 26’ from a farmer’s field. Surprisingly, the hull was in pretty good shape, no dry rot anywhere. As near as I can tell, almost all the original fittings, cushions, instruments etc. are still on the boat. The original deck and cockpit sole material was Nautolex. Sadly, the original 283 engine is gone, replaced with a 455 Olds. I’m hoping to place the boat back in service, however, not bring it back to original specs. Too costly and not a good investment on a cruiser. At least that is what I have heard.

I’m pretty good with wood, having built or restored 5-6 wooden boats, but I’m not anywhere near being a mechanic. The Oldsmobile 455 has a serial # of 396021F. It’s mated to a Borg Warner Velvet Drive, Model AS20-72C, serial # 126, with a 1.52:1 ratio via an OSCO bell housing. Outdrive plate says it’s manufactured by Crusader Marine, 1.1 ratio, Rotation “R or L”. Serial number A219. Carb is a Rochester QuadraJet., serial # 7042953 RL 1242. I’ve torn the engine down and need to have it rebuilt. (It’s frozen, so hopefully the block isn’t cracked.)

Now my questions: Is the 455 too much engine for this transmission or the boat? (I don’t need that much speed or power.) I guess the advantage of rebuilding what I have is that all the other fixtures, outdrive, heat exchanger, etc. all fit. I realize I need to purchase all new seals, pumps, rebuild the carb, etc. Who specializes in these types of marine motors? How about the transmission and outdrive? Or should I sell off the parts and get a smaller motor?

Any thoughts on where to start would be appreciated.

Duane

https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/21653/

jfrprops

Re: Cavalier engine restoration-where to start?

Post by jfrprops » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:01 am

Duane,

That is a tough call. Yes, that is too much motor, and yet you are correct that replacing it entirely would not be a good investment with an old cruiser like that.

See how available risers and manifolds are for an Olds? That heavy iron, which need periodic replacement is expensive and may be really hard to find? Never worked with an Olds....?

Hope others check in for Duane on this subject,

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

ChrisCav63

Post by ChrisCav63 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:13 pm

Thanks, John.

I've heard much the same advice for several others, including Paul at Woodies Restorations. As my current motor is frozen, seems best to find a 283-H to rebuild rather than continue to try to fix the 455. Maybe with winter coming on, someone out there will be upgrading their motor and I can find a 283 to work on.

Again, thanks for your input.

Duane

PS. Anyone out there need a 455 Olds? :D

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:08 pm

Now I think you are shooting too low......283? No much excitement there....why not 327....or best and most available...the reliable old 350?

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

ChrisCav63

Post by ChrisCav63 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:13 pm

Hi All

Well, I took others advice and begin looking for a 283 to add to my boat. Hard to believe, I found one very close to home and in running condition. Even harder to believe, it came in a 1964 CC 26' Futura. So I now have 2-26 footers in my yard.

So the restoration continues with the new boat

Duane