Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Short block (350) installation in our '59 Ski Utility

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Miss Kris

Short block (350) installation in our '59 Ski Utility

Post by Miss Kris » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:03 pm

Since removing the old 350 and converting the new one to marine, I've lost sight of some of the installation procedures. I believe I have all of the parts but cannot figure how the four mounts attach to the engine and then the engine to the boat runners. I've attached 4 photos of its current state. If more are needed... Thanks!
Attachments
CC boat runners.JPG
CC rear engine mounts.JPG
CC Mounts.JPG
CC front engine mountsJPG.JPG

jfrprops

Re: Short block (350) installation in our '59 Ski Utility

Post by jfrprops » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:15 pm

first things first: you ought to replace/upgrade some of those mounting blocks (wood).....looks suspiciously like a couple of sheetrock screws have been added here and there etc etc. Couple of the blocks look ok though. Don't worry about using mahogany etc....but I would use a good hardwood like oak. Exact same dimensions too....so the wedges will work the same way when aligning etc.
all SMC engines have the mounts in the same location so once you start fitting pieces it will come to you.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Miss Kris

Post by Miss Kris » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks, John, good advice. How the long mounts attach to the transmission end of the engine is apparent, however, I still do not know how or where the triangular metal blue mounts attach to the boat or to the engine. Might there be a source of photos of this installation?

WoodenRookie

Post by WoodenRookie » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:22 am

does this help
Attachments
Iphone 301.jpg
Blower 3.JPG
1959 18' Continental "Knot Yet"
2013 Cobalt 200WSS
1977 Lakescraft Pontoon

Miss Kris

Post by Miss Kris » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:39 am

Preview: Re: Short block (350) installation in our '59 Ski Utility

Mystery mounts.JPG

Terrific help guys, thanks. I see how the rear (longer) blue mounts go and, from your photos, the apparent assembly of the front ones with NO blue mounts. What I am unable to determine is where these 'blues' (photo) came from and go. Help there?
Attachments
Mystery mounts.JPG

Howard Lehman

Post by Howard Lehman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:46 pm

Hi, what is the diameter of the hole? Is it @ 3" or a little larger? If it is, might it be for holding the exhaust hose down to a frame aft of the engine? I have several boats with V8 engines, and they have some type of bracket, much simpler than these, but the exhaust hose needs to be anchored down so the flooring can fit flat on top of the stringers. This is a wild guess on my part. Good luck! Howard

jim g

Post by jim g » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:58 pm

Miss Kris wrote:Preview: Re: Short block (350) installation in our '59 Ski Utility

Mystery mounts.JPG

Terrific help guys, thanks. I see how the rear (longer) blue mounts go and, from your photos, the apparent assembly of the front ones with NO blue mounts. What I am unable to determine is where these 'blues' (photo) came from and go. Help there?
Those are the earlier style mounts. They were used until about 1960 when they went to the style with the holes in the rear.

You have the taller rear wedges which were used with the earlier rear mount.

Miss Kris

Post by Miss Kris » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:40 am

They definitely did not come off of the exhaust hoses although I'd happily use them for that purpose. I will measure them.

I understand what you are saying about earlier style mounts. What I don't get is why I have two each of the long and the short. There is nowhere they could have come from except off of this boat. Unless someone can shed new light, I will use only the longer two with the 'wedges' for the rear and only the wedges for the front. Thank you!

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:54 pm

I would guess, those certainly being the older version, that someone switched them out and kept them with the boat?? They are definitely engine mounts...for the big rubber busing kind of mount...earlier as said. Too large for the type that went on the gear box.....they would be the bell housing or dead front end attached types.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Miss Kris

Post by Miss Kris » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:08 am

Thanks. I'll simply leave the shorter mounts off and install the longer ones pictured. I still cannot figure out where they came from.
Bert

jim g

Post by jim g » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:38 am

Take a measurement from the front mount hole to the first rear mount hole on the stringer. See if it matches up to the mounts you have on your engine. Then you will know which rear mount you need to use. They are not interchangeable with the hole placement.