Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Fuel Pipe sealant

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

George Emmanuel

Fuel Pipe sealant

Post by George Emmanuel » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:57 pm

Both the tank fitting and the lock nut on my Sportsman have concave recesses. Obviously there is some sort of packing to prevent leakage. What do you use between the nut and tank to seal the joint? Would the flax packing work?

George

gallagh59

Re: Fuel Pipe sealant

Post by gallagh59 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:15 pm

George; My '59 CC Continental has a plastic seal between the gas tank filler neck nut and the gas tank. Check with Classic Boat Connection, they may have one. Also, try "EZ TURN fuel resistant Lubricant." A friend of mine uses this lubricant/sealant on his Piper Archer airplane wherever gas fittings or connections are required. "EZ Turn is a specially lubricant/sealant that is extremely effective where high octane fuels, certain chemical compounds, salt water and/or harsh environments are present." "It will not crack or dry." "MILITARY SPECIFIED (MIL-G-6032D AM 1 TYPE 1)" "HIGH TEMP MULTI-PURPOSE"
Attachments
SAM_3575.JPG
SAM_3574.JPG

George Emmanuel

Re: Fuel Pipe sealant

Post by George Emmanuel » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:26 am

That is the info I was looking for! Thanks. Both mating surfaces of the nut and tank are concave which would allow for a seal to be crushed into place tight. I have a lathe and could make a Delrin seal but it won't crush and make a tight seal into the threads.

George