Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Sunnyland, Lake Dora Boat Show

Every so often the executives of The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club will pose a question asking for your thoughts. Or maybe you have something that you would like to share with us. Step up on the soap box here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Will you be attending the Sunnyland, Lake Dora Antique and Classic Boat Show?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:57 pm

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 35

Bill Basler

Sunnyland, Lake Dora Boat Show

Post by Bill Basler » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:57 pm

We are making plans to attend the Sunnyland, Lake Dora Boat Show, March 27 through 30, in Tavares, Florida. There have been a number of you who have indicated you will also be attending the show. I am going to put together a fairly impromptu gathering place and time, likely on Saturday about 2:00. This would be a casual get-together where we can all meet, converse, and do a quick photo of the group. Please take the poll here and let us know whether you will be attending the Lake Dora show.
Bill Basler

rbarton

Re: Sunnyland, Lake Dora Boat Show

Post by rbarton » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:44 pm

Bill- My wife and I will be attending. This is a great idea-can't wait.

Bob Barton

Oberon01

Post by Oberon01 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:21 pm

My wife and I will be attending - our first show of its' type, anywhere. We need a warm weather escape from western Canada, and this is the perfect excuse.

Paul Harrison

Tightline5

Dora

Post by Tightline5 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:38 pm

Bill:
I will be there. The newes arrival, not a CC but eye candy just the same, and runs like a scalded dog!!!
The WeldWood #1

Phil in Va.

Wilson Wright

Mt. Dora

Post by Wilson Wright » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:23 pm

Now that the show has been moved to Tavares, does anybody have a lead on convenient places to stay and preferably one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg ?
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

mrb engine

Post by mrb engine » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:00 pm

DOES ANYONE HAVE A MAP SO WE CAN FIND THE SHOW IN TAVARES/
Mr. B's Engine
281-574-4537

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:43 pm

Wilson, Check out this web site.
http://www.lakecountyfl.gov/enjoying_la ... otels.aspx
It includes every hotel and motel in Lake County with contact information.
I may have an extra fold-out couch in my motor home you could use, you're welcome to use it. And "on site".

Mr. b, try this link;
www.acbs-sunnyland.com/Calendar_details2.php?id=83 Maps are included.

Al
Last edited by Al Benton on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:49 pm

Wilson:

Michelle and I are staying at the Best Western in Tavares. It's close by on 441. It's not on the shores of Lake Dora but a quick hop from Wooten Park, where the show will be held. Rooms were available three weeks ago, and it was a decent price (whatever that means).

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/e ... b1&refid=1&

If any of you would like to stay in Mt. Dora, we also have a room reserved at the Lakeside Inn. We reserved this last year before the show was moved.I don't think this falls under the "arm and a leg" level, but it is a quaint hotel that has loads of charm. I will be calling to let this room go within the week, so if any of you want it, just PM me and we can make the swap.

As for the show, it has moved to Tavares this year. For those not familiar with the area, this is in Lake County, named appropriately because there's water everywhere. For years the show was in the town of Mt. Dora. which wraps around the East and Southeast side of Lake Dora. This year the show will be in Tavares, which lies on the north and west of Lake Dora. Same Lake, different town, opposite shoreline.

See the attached maps here.

For those who might consider the Lakeside Inn, don't let the distance to Wooten Park fool you. It's not that far. And from what I understand there will be train rides (Which leaves from a point right outside of the Lakeside Inn), and boat shuttle rides across the pond.

If you are looking for a hotel and Tavares is full up, try neighboring Eustis.
Last edited by Bill Basler on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Basler

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:31 pm

I'm in. I will be staying in New Symerna. Its about 45 minuts from there. But open to meeting when ever wear ever.
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:06 am

I am going to Mt. Dora show as usual, highlight of year for me. I plan at this time to tow a Whirlwind runabout down there for the first time. Staying at the Lakeside Inn on thurs and fri. nights, may not be there as late as 2pm Sat. for the group pic, but that is a great idea.
Phil from Lynchburg: I will try to contact you directly via this site.
Look forward to seeing all.
John Rothert, Powhatan Courthouse Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

David M

Post by David M » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:37 pm

My wife and I are planning on attending. A get together sounds like a good idea, post a time and place, and we will be there.

Pete DeVito

Post by Pete DeVito » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:00 pm

Bill,
Sounds great for Saturday so count me and my wife in.
Look forward to seeing all the CC club members and putting a face with the emails.
This looks to be a great show this year and I think they will have the 2nd annual Bernie Little boat race the following weekend at the same site.
Pete DeVito

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:06 pm

You're right, Pete. It's a full week of great boating with the Sunnyland Antique Boat Festival March 28th thru 30th, the Antique Boat Museum's History Symposium March 30th thru April 1st and then the Race Boats the following weekend.

I am looking forward to meeting you and seeing Knotty48. I hope you don't mind if the camera comes along for a few photos of her. It will be great putting faces and live voices to the many names we see on Boat Buzz.

Al

Wilson Wright

Mt. Dora

Post by Wilson Wright » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:42 pm

...and week long River Cruise down the St. Johns before the show...you could make a three week event out of it if you had time and $.
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

Pete DeVito

Post by Pete DeVito » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:50 pm

Al
Wilson is right.. boy this event is growing into one great month of boating the Florida waters and a great way for all the northern folks to start their boating season. I will be at Mount Dora both weekends but my boss won't let me out of our board meeting on Tuesday in Colorado. I think the boat races should be great and it will bring back some memories of seeing them on the Ohio River.
Pete

tom king

Post by tom king » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:13 am

For the first time in about 10 years the wife and I won't be able to attend this show. We always look forward to it every year. The weather is "usually" spectacular and it was always a great way to start off the boating season.

I'm curious though, why did Sunnland move the show to Tavares? The reason I ask is running the same time as the boat show the town of Mt. Dora always held a big antique show on the town streets and it was aconvenient and short walk from the show to town (for my wife).

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:55 am

Tom, look on this link www.acbs-sunnyland.com/index.php?id=160
for the explanation. Actually, Tavares isn't that far from Mt Dora and transportation between the two is going to add to the experience in my opinion. The train and shuttle boats should be fun.

Wooton Park has more room, Tavares is providing floating dockage on a larger water front area and parking will be closer to the site.

Al

tom king

Post by tom king » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:17 pm

Thanks. Makes perfect sense. Kinda wish now that we were going this year.

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:50 am

Looks like we will have a good gathering. In addition to the responses here on this poll, I have heard from about 20 other members via email or phone who will be present. I am hoping that we can pull together 40-50 members.

Given that, let's all meet at the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club tent at 2:00 on Saturday. I will pick up some refreshments, and we can informally meet and get to know one another.

If any of you have suggestions for things that you would like to discuss while face-to-face, please let me know.

We will be at this this show armed with a big screen TV, a laptop, cell internet connection, applications, Brass Bells, and a small group of volunteers. The tent will be easy to spot, and I will have Terry Fiest announce the gathering on the PA.

I'm looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible. If you can't be at the tent at 2:00, please stop by and introduce yourself at any time during the show.
Bill Basler

Pete DeVito

Post by Pete DeVito » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:04 pm

Bill,
Just wondering how many volunters you had to help you over the weekend. I know you, Don and others will want to get out and see the beauties on the docks. I'm volunter at the show on Saturday morning but would help out on Friday PM if needed. We appreciate all you and the staff do to make us a premier club. Let us know if you need any help.
Pete

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:13 pm

Pete, thanks for the offer. I would certainly like to get out on the water. We were really busy last year, but boating is important isn't it? I would love to take a ride on Knotty48. I will have the camera in tow, looking for interesting Brass Bell material.

I have a few volunteers rounded up Don, Matt Smith, Al Benton to name a few. The more the merrier.
Bill Basler

Pete DeVito

Post by Pete DeVito » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:22 pm

Bill,
If you need my help Friday PM give me a call. Looking forward to meeting everyone Saturday afternoon.
Pete

Ron Stevenson

Mt Dora show

Post by Ron Stevenson » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:34 pm

Bill.

Four of us from Seattle. Rob Dapron, Ron Stevenson, Ike Kielgass, Dick Dow. Someone should at least buy us a round for the furthest traveled, don'cha think? All of us are ACBS members, CC owners, our boats are in the ACBS directory.
Best Regards,

Ron Stevenson
1953 35' Commander
1948 20' Custom

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:02 pm

Alright Ron. Darn this is getting expensive. You may be traveling farther but I am doing it with a 12 year old, a 5 year old and a 3 year old, in a Suburban over the course of 2.5 days!

I'm looking forward to meeting all of our Pac Northwest friends. This should be fun.
Bill Basler

DLKster

Lake Dora Weather

Post by DLKster » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:03 am

Check the weather for Thursday - Saturday.
Who is the Chairman of Sunnyland's Weather Committee?
Whoever it iss, good job! See you all there.

Wednesday Night Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 50s.
Thursday Partly sunny. Highs around 80.
Thursday Night Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 50s.
Friday Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 80s.
Friday Night Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s.
Saturday Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 80s.
Saturday Night Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s.
Sunday Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 80s.
Dave Konick
Washington, VA
1951 16' Riviera
1954 22' Sea Skiff

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:07 am

Remember, if you are in the neighborhood, meet at the Chris-Craft tent at 2:00 on Saturday!

We're loading up and starting out trip this afternoon. See you all there.
Bill Basler

Oberon01

Post by Oberon01 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:19 pm

I think Calgary is further from Tavares than Seattle, so maybe I get the free drink(s)?

Looking forward to the show and also looking forward to meeting everyone.

Paul

Oberon01

Post by Oberon01 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:25 pm

Should have checked before I decided to be a smart ass. According to Mapquest, Seattle is about 300 miles further from Tavares than Calgary....3100 to 2800

Paul

DLKster

Lake Dora photos

Post by DLKster » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:23 pm

Dave Konick
Washington, VA
1951 16' Riviera
1954 22' Sea Skiff

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:47 pm

More shots and the day to day journey of Sylvia at www.woodyboater.com Including a great boat photo trip around the lake in Pete Devito's 48 Deluxe runabout. Thanks Pete.. And Chris Smith just hang'n
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com