Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Chris Craft Land Cruiser

Are you in need of information regarding "the way it was?" Or are you are a walking "who's-who" of Chris-Craft history? Share what you don't know—or do know here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

kits

Chris Craft Land Cruiser

Post by kits » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:59 pm

It appears that a second example of the elusive Chris Craft Land Cruiser, the camping trailer that was available in 1954 in kit form, may have been found. A friend of mine says he has purchased one and will be picking it up from the daughter of the original owner in a couple of weeks. He wants to restore it and asked me for any details I might have on production. I have a kit boat sales brochure that mentions them, copies of a few ads, and the Brass Bell article about the one owned by the ACBS chapter out west. Does anyone out there have a sales flyer for these, and if so, could you provide me with a photo copy? We would be grateful. Thanks.

Bob

dragonfly

land cruiser

Post by dragonfly » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:19 am

Good morning, I know the gentleman in Colorado who has the one owned by the Rocky Mountain Classics chapter. I'll call him and see what he's got. I know he has an article from Popular Mechanics from the 50's, where the actually built one just to see how easy it was. This thing is ALWAYS a hit at our shows.
1955 18'CC Sea Skiff & 1959 18' Mercury Sabre

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:21 am

Ironically, there are two trailers that have emerged in the past month, both in Minnesota. One is listed for "free" on craigslist: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/r ... 10129.html

The other is spoken for. Mike Teusink and Kirk Wingard from Wooden Runabout Co., will be picking it up soon.
Bill Basler

kits

Post by kits » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:45 pm

I am doing the research for Mike & Kirk. A Land Cruiser brochure was part of a lot that sold on ebay last week, but I was outbid. Ads for them appeared in Life Magazine and other places starting in late 1953 and into 1954. I believe the Popular Mechanics article referenced above appeared in 1955, but I'm not sure they were still in production at that point. I'm just trying to get as much information as possible. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bob

thompsonboatboy

Post by thompsonboatboy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:07 pm

I wrote several times to the lister of the one on craigs list in Minnesota. Never received a response.

I have an original brochure with the code "11354M 50M" printed on the back. Might that indicate 50,000 printed and date of 11-3-1954?

I wrote an article about the Chris-Craft and Thompson (20 years earlier than CC) campers for The Boathouse magazine. It might be on-line at www.acbs-bslol.com

Andreas

kits

Post by kits » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:05 pm

Andreas,
I believe that you are correct on the date and quantity on the sales brochure. I have roughly 2 dozen pieces of sales literature for CC kit boats, outboards and trailers. Roughly half of them have printer's marks similar to what you describe, with quantities varying from 75,000 to 200,000. However those marks stop at 5/54 (which, by the way, is the only kit boat brochure to picture the Land Cruiser that I have seen). The 1955 to 1958 brochures have no printer's mark on them.

I checked the Bob Speltz-LOL Chapter web site, but could not find your camper article. I would love to read it. (I did enjoy your article on water skiing.) Any chance I could get you to send me a photocopy of it and the sales brochure? I'd be happy to pay for them, or trade for a couple of original sales brochures from Boat Kits, Inc. of Bloomington, MN.

thompsonboatboy

Post by thompsonboatboy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:25 pm

Just more stuff to scan! I have a stack of boating brochures about 1" think in the "to scan" pile!!!!

I'll get at it soon.

Tomorrow I head to the Wisconsin Canoe Heritage Museum at Spooner to look thru a bunch of Thompson Boat stuff that was recently donated. Laptop and scanner will accompany me on the trip!

Please send me a reminder email: [email protected]

Andreas

thompsonboatboy

Post by thompsonboatboy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:48 am

here is the sacn:

I have also submitted this to the Classic Library" area of www.fiberglassics.com for inclusion in their permanant collection.

Andreas

kits

Post by kits » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:26 pm

Thanks much, Andreas. The top photo looks like it could have been shot on the banks of the St. Clair River at Algonac State Park.