Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

removing steering wheel

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

floating

removing steering wheel

Post by floating » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:28 pm

looking for advice on removing the steering wheel on a 48 17' CC Deluxe, should i take the colume out first? do you use a puller on the horn botton. mainly want to remove to refinish wheel, chrome speed shift.

Pete DeVito

Post by Pete DeVito » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:30 pm

First you will need to remove the (throttle rod, horn button and throttle lever) out from the middle of the wheel. At the end of the steering box you will see the rod coming out with the horn wire in the inside of it. Remove the wire from the horn relay along with the linkage and the rod will pull out the top of the wheel.
Once you have the (rod, throttle lever) out you can loosen up the nut and then use a puller to pull the wheel off. This is where you want to be very careful because the wheel is old and you will distroy it if you are not careful. Use blaster to help pull it off.
You will need to pull from the base around the column. There was an article in the Rudder I think just a couple of issues ago on this subject and I think it looked like the 17' Deluxe wheel. Check your back issues and hopefully you will find.
Good luck!

Past Project 1948 17' Deluxe
Past Project 1957 19' Capri
Future Project 1955 17' Special Sportsman

charlesquimby

Post by charlesquimby » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Check the archives in Buzz. I recall something regarding wheel removal. Go there before you start trying to pull it (the wheel, the wheel) CQ :lol:

Trick414

Post by Trick414 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:02 pm

I hate to speak for Tom, but he loaned me his puller last year.

http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... php?t=2160

In fact, I think about 4 of us or so got in on the chain. We just kept sending it on.

It worked like a champ.
1951 Riviera 18' KLC
Hull Registry

floating

wheel puller

Post by floating » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:50 pm

anyone will to loan me a puller, can talk through how you want to handlwe details,
contact Joel 4142432366
thanks!

Ollon

Post by Ollon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:52 pm

I was in a pinch and used a bearing separator and a 2 jaw puller to get mine off. Worked great with no damage to the wheel. Put the bearing separator up against the rear base of the wheel snug around the shaft collar but not too tight. Put the hooks of the jaw puller onto that and turn slowly. Remember to keep the nut on the end of the shaft to prevent damage to the rod and threads. Took a picture at the time but cant find it. If you dont have these you can get them at any Harbor Freight or Auto parts store and return them when your done.