Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

New Boat

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

rsundstrom

New Boat

Post by rsundstrom » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:34 pm

I joined here back in 2009, and have been looking & looking for that boat! Well, I have finally found her/purchased her. So now the journey begins. It's a 1957 sedan w/flybridge 27 ft. Presently it is still in Canada where I drove up and looked at her, we settled on price and after looking at all the shipping companies out there I decided to just have a trailer built and to go and haul her home when the trailer is finished. :D
I didn't really know where I should post this at, so I hope this is correct! So now my restoration will finally begin, as well all the questions! Trying to post a picture, but haven't figured it out yet!
Last edited by rsundstrom on Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats!
H.L Mencken.

rsundstrom

Re: New Boat

Post by rsundstrom » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:57 pm

DSCF8329 copy.jpg
Proud New Owner
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats!
H.L Mencken.

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:06 pm

Awesome!

If you have been on the hunt since 2009 you surelly have the patients for this project.

Have fun and enjoy the process :D
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

boat_art

Post by boat_art » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:06 am

Welcome aboard! Keep the photos coming!
Thank you for being willing to take care of another grand old lady of boating!
Tom
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:30 am

Cool boat.
FLASH1969 Chris Craft Cavalier Ski-230 HP 327Q

CCABC Board of Directors Member

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:29 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of boat ownership. Your next task is to start looking for the second one. Before long you will have a collection! You have joined the right club. There are lots of knowledgeable people who can help you. Keep the pictures coming.
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:21 am

Thanks all. I am truely excited. The previous owner gave me the hull number as SC27-07, and when I gave this information to the trailer maker, he said I am missing a third digit for the hull number. Does anyone know where this number would be on this type/style of boat?
Here is a pic of the aft.
Attachments
1957_CHRIS_CRAFT_DAY_CRUISER_28_006_YUY5.jpg
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

H.L Mencken.

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:17 am

I don't have my cc essential guide with me at the moment, buti am sure someone who does will respond shortly. If you have trouble locating it don't doubt others can tell you where to look. Cc generally plastered the number all over the place. Once you have done that you can contact the mariners' museum in Virginia and for a fee can get the hull card and other cool information.

charlesquimby

Post by charlesquimby » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:38 am

Serial numbers run SC-27-001 through 750 with production1955-57. 26'-8"x8'-6". Look along engine stringers or keel near coupling for stamped in numerals. If they are hard to read, wipe them with laquer thinner and they will pop right up until the thinner dries. They may also be in the cabin overhead beams or on hatch frames. Charley Q.

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:41 pm

Congratulations on your aquisition. Looks like you have some work ahead of you. Nice project :D . You should locate the hull# on the engine stringer that runs along the stb side of the port engine if she has twins, if a single i would look along the stb. stringer. You can take some interior trim parts off such as the cabin door they stamped the # on all kinds of parts. I might look into the hullsides being finished bright, I don't know if that was an option. If you get the hull card from the Mariners Museum that might tell. I am the caretaker for SC-28-005. I might guess your hull # to be SC-27-007.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:40 pm

charlesquimby wrote:Serial numbers run SC-27-001 through 750 with production1955-57. 26'-8"x8'-6". Look along engine stringers or keel near coupling for stamped in numerals. If they are hard to read, wipe them with laquer thinner and they will pop right up until the thinner dries. They may also be in the cabin overhead beams or on hatch frames. Charley Q.
Thanks, I will take a look!
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

H.L Mencken.

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:41 pm

Don Vogt wrote:I don't have my cc essential guide with me at the moment, buti am sure someone who does will respond shortly. If you have trouble locating it don't doubt others can tell you where to look. Cc generally plastered the number all over the place. Once you have done that you can contact the mariners' museum in Virginia and for a fee can get the hull card and other cool information.
Thanks Don,
I plan on doing just that once the numbers are found!
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

H.L Mencken.

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Captain Nemo wrote:Congratulations on your aquisition. Looks like you have some work ahead of you. Nice project :D . You should locate the hull# on the engine stringer that runs along the stb side of the port engine if she has twins, if a single i would look along the stb. stringer. You can take some interior trim parts off such as the cabin door they stamped the # on all kinds of parts. I might look into the hullsides being finished bright, I don't know if that was an option. If you get the hull card from the Mariners Museum that might tell. I am the caretaker for SC-28-005. I might guess your hull # to be SC-27-007.
she does have twins, so I'll take a look there & check.
Attachments
1957_CHRIS_CRAFT_DAY_CRUISER_28_015_PPLD.jpg
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

H.L Mencken.

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:32 pm

Mine is stamped right in between the engine mounts. Those K's look pretty wild painted red :shock:
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Well I leave bright & early tommorrow morning @ 3:30 to go up & get the boat! Wish me luck as this will be one long haul! :D
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

H.L Mencken.

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:18 am

Have a safe and enjoyable trip! 8)

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:52 am

good luck. post more pictures please after you return.

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:54 am

Made it home safe & sound! Was quite the trip I must say! Picked up the trailer in Port Clinton OH, and reached Lindsay Ontario by midnight. Next morning we met and went to load the boat @ 0730 in the morning. In the rain we loaded with a Front end loader the boat onto the trailer.
Attachments
IMG-20130907-00169.jpg
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

H.L Mencken.

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:56 am

2013-09-07_10-16-57_257.jpg
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

H.L Mencken.

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:08 pm

I purchased the boat from John, he had gotten it from his Dad (Tom). His Dad was there to load the boat because he was the original owner & a genius in the different ways to block up the hull & slowly but surely inch the boat onto the trailer. We started by straping the front end of the boat using the Front end loader to hoist, I backed the trailer under as far as it would allow, then we'd block & support the keel, adjust the bunks, & slowly inch by inch in this process move the boat onto the trailer. Finally we had her on far enough that I could pull the boat forward enough so that the front end loader could get behind the boat, and with blocking on the transom, and lots of soap on the bunks, the front end loader pushed her to her final spot on the trailer.
Whew, I was truely amazed at John's father's technique & skill with all the different ways he came up with to load her.
Attachments
2013-09-07_10-16-26_453.jpg
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

H.L Mencken.

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:15 pm

2013-09-07_15-05-34_832.jpg
All loaded up & ready for transport.
2013-09-08_07-11-35_562.jpg
The Dreaded gas stop.
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

H.L Mencken.

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:19 pm

Home safe & sound! :D
Attachments
2013-09-08_16-54-26_564.jpg
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

H.L Mencken.

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:36 pm

thanks for the update. now the fun begins. :P

boat_art

Post by boat_art » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Love it! Keep the pics coming!
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:55 pm

Don Vogt wrote:thanks for the update. now the fun begins. :P
Yep, I can't wait. I have started looking for the Hull ID, Still can't find it yet, but I read somewhere on here that the Mariner's Museum can cross reference the Engines to the Hull ID. So I have submitted for my research package and am trying to collect as much data as I can. The Mast Light is incorrect for this model and after discussing with the previous owners, He said he had it in his shop, so I will be getting that put back in place. Lot's to do, but I will wait until it gets just a tad cooler. I put a thermometer in the cabin and it was 100 degrees, so I had to take a break. Loving it! :D
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

H.L Mencken.

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:10 pm

If you haven't already you might try seat backs/bottoms, back of drawers, etc. items that were placed in the boat after basic assembly. They usually had hull numbers on them, too.

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:18 pm

Looks like it worked out well.

Very nice trailer!

While looking for the numbers realize that the numbers may not be everything you are expecting to find. :shock:

On our Connie they are stamped into the deck boards on the forward face of the port engine hatch, however even though her full number is X4S-38-305 all that is stamped into the wood is "38 305".

Good luck!

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:50 pm

Mystery Solved! I called the Mariners Museum with the engine numbers, and also went to their website and requested a research pacakage based off of the engine numbers. They emailed back today with Hull ID SC 27-070. So I can't wait to recieve the research package wich should be here in about 10 days. :D
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

H.L Mencken.

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:59 pm

tkhersom wrote:Looks like it worked out well.

Very nice trailer!

While looking for the numbers realize that the numbers may not be everything you are expecting to find. :shock:

On our Connie they are stamped into the deck boards on the forward face of the port engine hatch, however even though her full number is X4S-38-305 all that is stamped into the wood is "38 305".

Good luck!
Thanks, The trailer worked out very well, fits the hull perfectly. It's a Loadmaster...http://www.loadmastertrailerco.com/clas ... -trailers/
Pulled flawlessly with no issues at all.
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

H.L Mencken.

farupp

Post by farupp » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:40 am

The locations of the hull numbers are as follows:

Chris-Craft, Sea Skiff & Cavalier Division boats
• On a metal plate attached to the underside of the engine hatch cover or engine box on single engine models, and on a metal plate attached to the underside of the starboard engine hatch cover or engine box on twin engine models.
• Stamped into the aft surface of the forward header of the engine hatch on single engine models, and stamped into the aft surface of the forward header of the port engine hatch on twin engine models.
• Stamped into the top edge of the engine stringer starboard adjacent to engine coupling on single engine models, and stamped into the top edge of the inboard stringer, port engine, adjacent to engine coupling on twin engine models.
• Either on top of wood towing bitt, aft face of bow block, extreme forward inboard surface of port toe rail, or aft face of stem midway between chine and sheer.

I had the same boat but built in 1949. I found the hull number on the bottom of the cabin door, on the wood trim pieces below the windows, etc. You'll find that once you find it the first time you'll find it a numerous other places. The numbers are stamped into the wood and they may be painted over, making them difficult to see.

Frank
Frank Rupp
1959 22-foot Sea Skiff Ranger
283 Flywheel Forward engine