Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Honey, have you finished fixing Elude yet? 1937 35' Cruiser

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Al Benton, Don Ayers, Don Vogt

robertpaul

Re: Honey, have you finished fixing Elude yet? 1937 35' Cruiser

Post by robertpaul » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:29 am

To catch up on the last post before I had to down tools, I attach the following pictures. I pulled this plank because I was suspicious it was a tiny bit proud of the chine for some sinister reason. Turns out that was not the case. It probably just worked a bit over the decades and several fasteners near the bow failed. None the less I am glad that I took the time to remove it as I can now be assured that the chine and the plank are in excellent condition. I did find one interesting thing that surprised me a little as you will see in the pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:32 pm

All the new bottom planks are attached with plenty of time for the adhesive to cure before the move. Now I will temporarily secure the side planks that I repaired for the trip and stuff the boat with everything at hand. I don't have time to install them permanently before the date of our eviction from the Port of Toronto. It has been pretty hot.

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:05 pm

Due to the short notice for our eviction, I concentrated on finishing the bottom... which I did. The side planks are secured for the trip, but are also just about ready for the final install themselves. The transom planks need to be repaired or replaced, but that will be pretty straightforward. Then it will be re-canvassing the deck and roof, stripping, fairing and painting the hull, filling the fastener countersinks in the bottom and fairing/sanding that and paint. Then I will do the brightwork and reassemble the galley and cabin areas. No sweat. I have to do the front windows as well but the frames are done and ready to be put together around the glass. Launch in 2020 for sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:02 pm

Hope she has a smooth trip, good luck. :)
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:48 pm

keep us informed on this great project!

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:42 am

Elude made the trip to Merrickville safely and easily thanks to Balsdon Trucking. Murray Balsdon handles the boats and driving. Karen Balsdon is the person in charge. I took a few pictures of Elude's new digs before she was placed inside and then my camera battery ran out of juice. Aylings Marina actively encourages folks to work on their own boats. The room in the picture dates to 1846 as a mill. It was first used as a boat storage and workshop in 1963. The adjoining part of the building is the actual workshop where they manufacture, among other things, real wood doors. Some of the woodworking machines are pretty old and awesome. I feel like I've ended up in Santa's workshop! I will move all my tools from Toronto (band saw, planer, table saw, etc,) and set them up right beside Elude. So.... all is well that ends well. Check out my roommate's Matthews!
Last edited by robertpaul on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:27 am

What a great spot. Your very lucky to find a yard that accommodates wooden cruisers and do it yourselfers. Elude looks beautiful in the light of day. Carry On!

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:55 am

Glad to see she made the trip without incident. Looks like a good work area. I too, am fortunate to be in an old school, wood boat friendly yard too. They are getting harder and harder to find. Looking forward to more of your great work! :D

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:39 am

Great digs....get on it....perfect work space.

John in Va
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:46 am

Thanks guys. It really is a neat place. Like stepping back in time. The town itself is astoundingly beautiful itself. Walking 200 metres from the workshop means crossing the swing bridge over the locks and being at the main intersection. Most of the buildings are limestone and there is a nice park right beside the locks. I am chomping at the bit to get back to work.

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:04 pm

New home. Ready to start the final big push to completion and chill after the pressure of the last 8 weeks.

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:46 am

By next week I will doing the tedious job of removing the temporary fasteners from the bottom, drilling pilot holes and countersinks, and putting in the permanent fasteners. I figure somewhere around 4,000 of them. Oddly, I am quite excited about the prospect of spending a couple of weeks back under the boat on my creeper. Then I will putty them over, unless it is too cold. Since I do not have any new pictures, I thought I would use the following photos of an intermediate frame that looked great and was solid when probed with an awl. It has two pieces because it spanned the original keelson. The bottom piece was affixed to the inner bottom, and the top piece connected it to the intermediate on the other side of the keelson....I hope that makes sense. The point is, I fully subscribe to the school of thought that says old bottoms should be addressed with great skepticism and in almost all cases, should be replaced in their entirety.

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:16 pm

I have spent about 25 joyful hours pulling the temporary deck screws and replacing them with #12 Bugle Head SS screws. 2" for the keel, stem and chines, 2 1/2" for the frames, and #10x2" for the intermediate frames. The process is quite straight forward. Along the keel, stem and chines I pulled and replaced about 5 at a time. For a frame I found I could pull and replace all of them at one go. Once out, I drill the correct pilot for the screw size. This is the step that requires the most care as I don't want to snap the bit. When I worked in my Dad's machine shop during high school (for a princely 50cents/hour) the machinists always told me not o force the tool or bit. "Let the tool do the work" and concentrate on keeping things square. Despite my best efforts I have broken one but managed to get it out ok. I blame having to work upside down in an awkward position rather than ineptitude. Once the pilots are drilled I countersink each hole just enough to ensure that the putty will have some wood to bond to as well as the screw head (which is sufficiently below the surface, of course). Finally I drive the new fastener into the hull. So far I have completed the stem, both chines, and both sides of the keel. Every screw 'bit' hard into good wood. I have also done all the frames and intermediates on the port side to about amidship, although there are several were I missed the end of the frame and one going just to the side of another. I will plug these errors with dowels in the same fashion that CC did when they missed. And they missed more than I have. I decided that to add and some excitement I would switch over to the stbd side for a while, concentrating on the frames and leaving the intermediates until later. In two hours I was able to complete 7 frames which is means about 120 screws out and new ones in. I confess I dawdled a bit but my arms get very tired after a couple of hours and I need to take breaks. fatigue also adds stress when drilling the pilot holes. I should add that I have separate drills for each step in order to avoid changing bits all the time. Here are some pictures.

For some reason I cannot attach the most recent photos! They are only 2.2mb files. The attached photo is 1.5mb. I will try to reduce the size of the pics that prove I really have been at this.
Last edited by robertpaul on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:36 am

That's a lot of "screwing" around, my tendonitis flares up just thinking about all that. Nice work! :)