Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Trailering 26' Cruiser

Winterizing? Summerizing? Covering? Trailering? If it is about a boat out of water put it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

tmadlem

Trailering 26' Cruiser

Post by tmadlem » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:13 pm

I'm looking to finalize the purchase of a 1956 26ft semi-enclosed cruiser and am wondering whether it will work as a trailerable boat. With a sound bottom and correct trailer is it feasible to launch it from a trailer or does it have to be launched at a marina with slings and kept dockside?

Mark Christensen

Post by Mark Christensen » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:02 pm

It largely depends on your launch I'd say. I've dropped in a 24' boat before with no problem. There are definitely some launches though that wouldn't handle a boat of that size without dipping the hindquarters of your truck a good ways into the water. The trick will be when you put it back on the trailer making sure it's nuzzled up against the bow stop real nice. I had that problem with my '63 22' sea skiff. But to fix that i would just go down a hill right after I pulled out and slam on my brakes real good. ( I can't wait to hear people's reaction to that method of shifting the boat forward). :) I think you should be fine though.

farupp

Post by farupp » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:56 am

I have a 1949 26.5 foot Chris Craft enclosed cruiser (6000 lbs) for which I have a trailer from which I have launched and reloaded the boat.

Launching was fairly easy, but getting it back onto the trailer was a chore. I have used a 2000 lb. come-along and a 3-inch wide canvas strap that goes around the entire hull near the covering boards. The ends of the strap have eyes that hook onto the come along hook at the bow of the boat. I then winch the boat slowly onto the trailer.

I have also used a big electric winch to reload the boat in the same way.

As the previous post said, the rear tires of your tow vehicle will be in the water and it is important to get the boat as far forward on the trailer as you can. Then pull the boat and trailer slowly out of the water, having someone else making sure the boat stays centered on the trailer as the stern will be floating until the trailer is almost all of the way out of the water.

Make sure you have a tow vehicle big enough to handle the load. I use a Chevy Suburban, 2wd.

Good luck. You'll get wet.
Frank Rupp
1959 22-foot Sea Skiff Ranger
283 Flywheel Forward engine

tmadlem

Post by tmadlem » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:31 am

Thank you both for your experience launching your cruisers. How does your Suburban handle towing your boat?

I've be pulling with an AWD Yukon XL 1/2 ton and want to use it on a day launch/cruise/reload basis up at Lake Michigan. The weight of the semi-enclosed is less than your '49 at around 4,000lbs. In having a new trailer fabricated for her perhaps an extended tongue would be a worthwhile addition.

farupp

Post by farupp » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:46 am

Troy, your vehicle will be fine. My Suburban handles the boat and trailer without any problems.

An extended tongue will be a good idea. My trailer has one.

I have found that it is generally easier to reload on a steep ramp. With a flatter ramp, I have to have the rear wheels of my tow vehicle in the water quite a bit. This is a critical issue for me as we use our boat in salt water. It will not be as big a problem in fresh water.

A tip: when the trailer goes in the water, make sure the electrical plug for the lights (and electric brakes if you have them) is disconnected from the tow vehicle. You'll save many lights bulbs, even with submersible trailer lights.

Good luck.
Frank Rupp
1959 22-foot Sea Skiff Ranger
283 Flywheel Forward engine