Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Establishing the right shop humidity

Winterizing? Summerizing? Covering? Trailering? If it is about a boat out of water put it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

oldwoodboats

Establishing the right shop humidity

Post by oldwoodboats » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:52 pm

My shop is 25'X35' X 12' ceilings; well insulated walls and ceiling, tight windows, concrete floor, nat gas hot air heat.

How do I estimate the gallons of water per day needed to maintain 60% humidity at 60 deg F when outside temp is 20 deg F?

I need to see if I really need to spend thousands to run a buried pipe 100" to the shop where the frost line is 4' down, or if I can build a cistern big enough to hold enough rain and melt water to feed my humidifier/

Also, what humidifier works well?
Thanks
Gene Porter

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:38 pm

You should consider speaking with an expert from Armstrong International - www.armstronginternational.com.

They can help you select the best system for your shop; electric, gas fired, etc.

How can you go wrong with a product from Three Rivers, Michigan?

There... that's my plug.
1952 CC 18' Sportsman
1969 CC 19' Commander Super Sport

jeffschuitema

shop humidity for wood

Post by jeffschuitema » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:57 pm

It should be about 70%. So you need a hygrometer to measure the relative humidity. Then you need a humidifier. A small 2 gallon one keeps up with my guitar shop. It has a dial which will provide either more or less humidity.

oldwoodboats

shop humidity

Post by oldwoodboats » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks Jeff

I have set up a 60 gal rain barrel to be filled by hose every few weeks when needed. The rain barrel automatically feeds a standard Essick big room humidifier via a jury rigged float valve. The humidifier has an installed humidistat and have purchased a separate one for back up

Gene Porter